• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto Backlight only works sporadically

vwvapor

Oct 13, 2009
Anyone else have the following problem?

I've got auto backlight turned on because I want the screen bright outdoors, but dim when I'm in the dark. I've noticed that sometimes in the dark, the screen will be completely dimmed, but flicker brighter every now and then. On top of that, sometimes the screen just stays bright. Both of these will happen with zero ambient light.

I could turn of auto backlight, but there's no quick way to adjust brightness that I know of since none of the screen adjust widgets work with this phone.

Anyone encounter this and/or figure out how to fix it?

Anyone else have the following problem?

I've got auto backlight turned on because I want the screen bright outdoors, but dim when I'm in the dark. I've noticed that sometimes in the dark, the screen will be completely dimmed, but flicker brighter every now and then. On top of that, sometimes the screen just stays bright. Both of these will happen with zero ambient light.

I could turn of auto backlight, but there's no quick way to adjust brightness that I know of since none of the screen adjust widgets work with this phone.

Anyone encounter this and/or figure out how to fix it?
i'm actually experiencing the same problem. about 70% percent of the time, the screen will be completely bright in zero light situations but will be completely dim in maximum light environments. if the screen is completely bright in no-light areas, i usually have to shine some light in the ambient light sensor for the auto brightness to kick in. the opposite is true for dim screen in bright environments.

the screen will flicker sporadically but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the screen being at max or min brightness for the wrong situations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones