• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto Backlight or Auto Brightness?

JB in AZ

Android Expert
Oct 27, 2009
Florida
Are these the same? I have searched the forum, and can't seem to find the answer. I don't find any "auto brightness" setting in the settings menu on the Hero. I have auto backlight unchecked. What exactly does this do? Is this the screen dimming? Sorry, I am confused. Uh oh! Must be a senior moment!

While I am showing off photos I have on my phone, the screen dims...how do I keep this from happening?

Also, relating to photos..when I go to "Albums", I have 4 folders listed...Camera Shots, All Photos, etc. When I take a pictures with the phone camera, they seems to be in both folders. Why?

Thanks!

auto brightness will increase the brightness depending on how bright it is where you are....the dimming the you experience while showing your pictures is a differnt setting called screen timeout which can be set at watever u want, the pictures in 2 folders is still unknown to me why they aprear in both places

Upvote 0
Also, relating to photos..when I go to "Albums", I have 4 folders listed...Camera Shots, All Photos, etc. When I take a pictures with the phone camera, they seems to be in both folders. Why?

Thanks!

The seperation with two folders is a usability feature. All photos may be downloads from the web, picture mail photos, doodlings from a paint app and camera shots. If you just want to view photos taken from your camera would you want to view all the other ones? I believe it is there for convenience...

Upvote 0
Auto brightness like stated, will change the brightness of your screen depending on light around you (bright during daytime outdoors, dim for low light situations)

I thought the phone had an issue when I first got it, but found that setting and turned it off. It seemed to flicker and go bright/dim even when i didnt move into a different lighting, was quite annoying, I recommend not using it.

Upvote 0
Auto brightness like stated, will change the brightness of your screen depending on light around you (bright during daytime outdoors, dim for low light situations)

I thought the phone had an issue when I first got it, but found that setting and turned it off. It seemed to flicker and go bright/dim even when i didnt move into a different lighting, was quite annoying, I recommend not using it.

I also disabled auto backlight and watched my battery last longer as I have my brightness set halfway between the lowest and middle setting. This doesn't bother me in any lighting situations and i'm considering sliding it down just a fuzz more.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know an app that will provide a widget to "full-bright" your display? Like a toggle to go between your current brightness setting and fullbright?

it would be useful for apps like Keyring that almost require the screen to be at max brightness.

i know there is "Fastbright", which is exactly what i want, but the author states it is for "Cupcake only". anyone tried it on the Hero?

thanks.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know an app that will provide a widget to "full-bright" your display? Like a toggle to go between your current brightness setting and fullbright?

it would be useful for apps like Keyring that almost require the screen to be at max brightness.

i know there is "Fastbright", which is exactly what i want, but the author states it is for "Cupcake only". anyone tried it on the Hero?

thanks.

i believe android 1.5 (what the sprint here is running unless you flashed a diff rom) is cupcake
1.6 is donut and 2.0 2.0.1 and 2.1 are all enclair and froyo still dont have a number to it yet

Upvote 0
Check out Dimmer Lite, it will let you set 5 points to the brightness level you want and toggle back and forth between them

Really -- it works on the Hero? I have a GSM Hero and not one of the widgets or apps in Android market will work on my phone... and yes, I have "auto-brightness" turned off. Every single widget/app will correctly display the dim settings while within the widget control, but once clicking off of it and back Home, or to an app, that setting is overridden by whatever the system setting level of brightness is. i have yet to find one exception to this behavior.

Buit okay, I will try Dimmer Lite and see if it works on a GSM Hero.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones