1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Auto read/preview incoming texts

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by amseven777, Jan 2, 2015.

1. amseven777

amseven777 Newbie
    None

Oct 29, 2014
    I just purchased a Martian smartwatch. This watch allows basic texts and other info come thru my HTC one phone to the watch. Works great. When someone texts me I can see that text on the watch...BUT if I don't go into my phone and mark that text as being read, then the next time someone texts me I only see on the phone 'you have 2 messages'. I was hoping/wondering if there was an app or setting that would automatically mark each text as read or previewed on my phone so I could then see every text on my phone without having to grab my phone and do it manually. Hope this isn't too confusing.

thanks

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    If you have tasker and the "auto shortcut plugin" for tasker, you can set up a profile to open a received text in your phone at the time it is received (which will make it read).

That may be an inconvenience since the phone moves to a different screen than where you had it...

....If you have root, you can add a "back" key press at the end of the profile so your phone will go back to the screen it was on prior to receiving the text message.

3. amseven777

amseven777 Newbie
    None

Oct 29, 2014
    I will be rooting my device soon so i nay go with that option. Just not sure what u mean by back key press at the end of my 'profile'.. Or will i understand that once rooted?

4. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Tasker can be programmed by the user to execute a series of actions automatically based on certain conditions or events. In this case it would sense the "sms received" event and automatically launch two sequential actions:
    1-open the received message in your sms reader
    2-emulate a back key press to return the screen focus to where it was before action 1. This fits the same thing as you pressing back, but it would be fine automatically, without any interaction from you.

The second action can be done by Tasker only if it has root access. Without root access, tasker can't do action 2.

Tasker has a little bit of a learning curve.

You can use tasker to emulate a back key press.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I slid this into the tasker sub forum since that's the direction the thread is taking.:)

6. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Sorry, I had some typos and can't figure out how to edit. Should have been:

Unforgiven likes this.
  7. amseven777

amseven777 Newbie
    None

Oct 29, 2014
    Thanks for the help. I purchased tasker and you are right, there is a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully I can figure it out soon. I noticed there was a wiki where you can download profiles (http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index) looks like what I want is not there.