• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto SMS after X number of rings?

xmizer

Lurker
Mar 24, 2013
I'm new to Tasker and I've been reading up but I'm still confused.
What I want to do is replace voicemail with an auto-SMS reply that says something along the lines, "I'm unable to take your call at this moment but if you leave me your name, number, or e-mail, I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible."

The reason I am doing this is because voicemail is extra with my plan and it's very expensive. I want to send the auto-SMS after 5 or 6 rings, and I have no idea how to do this.

I will be grateful towards anybody who can help me with this.

Thanks.

Profile: Missed call (57)
Event: Missed Call [ Caller:* ]
Enter: Anon (56)
A1: Variable Set [ Name:%NUMCALLS To:1 Do Maths:On Append:Off ] If [ %MISSED ! Set ]
A2: Variable Set [ Name:%LASTMISSED To:none Do Maths:Off Append:Off ] If [ %MISSED ! Set ]
A3: Variable Set [ Name:%LASTMISSED To:%MISSED Do Maths:Off Append:Off ] If [ %MISSED Is Set ]
A4: Variable Set [ Name:%MISSED To:%CNUM Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A5: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:8 Label: ] If [ %LASTMISSED ~ none ]
A6: Variable Add [ Name:%NUMCALLS Value:1 Wrap Around:0 ] If [ %MISSED ~ %LASTMISSED ]
A7: Variable Clear [ Name:%MISSED Pattern Matching:Off ] If [ %MISSED !~ %LASTMISSED ]
A8: Send SMS [ Number:%CNUM Message:I am busy.Call me later please. Store In Messaging App:On ] If [ %NUMCALLS > 3 ]
A9: Variable Clear [ Name:%MISSED Pattern Matching:Off ] If [ %NUMCALLS > 3 ]

Upvote 0
The missed call described is very logical approach. Along with that, you'll have to simply disable your voicemail. Otherwise people are going to leave a message before they get your text message (although they may learn over time that you don't want voicemails).

If you wanted to try to alert early enough to contact the before voicemail picks up, you'd have to work off context event "phone ringing". Task should provide a time delay,then somehow check if you have answered and then send sms (if not answered). But the likelihood of doing all that and then having the caller read and react properly to the sms in the short time available before your voicemail picks up seems extremely small. Better to stick with the previous approach.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones