1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Auto wifi

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Submariner70, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Submariner70

Submariner70 Member

I was looking for an Auto Wifi App. I have been using Y5 but it never turns my Wifi off when I leave my house or get out of Wifi range. Also while i have it enabled and I do get out of range, I can try to turn my Wifi off but it keeps turning back on.

I am looking for another app like that but that is a little more reliable. Any suggestions.

I mainly because it so I don't have to use my 3G while at home since my battery life is HORRIBLE. Can't wait until my 2 year upgrade.

Verizon Droid Incredible v2.2 Not Rooted

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ambientdroid

ambientdroid Well-Known Member

I'd recommend tasker. It's more than capable of doing stuff like this though it requires a fair amount of setup as you need to program the 'tasks' that you want it to do.once you learn how, theed a HUGE amount of things you can do with it. Very much worth the price - it's the only app I've ever paid for.

3. joewest

joewest Lurker

I use green power free to manage my wifi. Its a battery saver but it turns on wifi when you power on and shuts it off when the screen is off. It also will turn off and go back to 3g if no network is available.

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest

You can also try Auto Wifi Enabler. You'll have to leave the general location turned on (I believe Y5 requires the same thing), but once you get far enough from a wifi point that you have saved on your phone, it turns it off

5. Submariner70

Submariner70 Member

Thanks.
    I think I tried that one, don't know if that one even worked for me but will give it another shot.

6. Clevo89

Clevo89 Well-Known Member

On my android (Huawei IDEOS X5/ Android 2.2.1) it remembers my wifi connections and automatically connects to remembered wifi spots (including remembered out of home wifi hotspots) then automatically switches to mobile data when i'm out of home wifi zone.

No need for apps...

7. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert

I found all the ones that use location to eat battery and also to be unreliable (since they only find me within 1000' using the network and I do not always have GPS on). I settled on Power Scheduler; it lets you have a weekday and weekend schedule, and lets you schedule any of the switches. It's TOO reliable sometimes (but can easily be over-ridden when necessary).

8. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Why would you want wifi to go off when you turn the screen off? Unless you are right under a tower, wifi will use a lot less battery than mobile network.

9. Submariner70

Submariner70 Member

I agree with you Lexluthor. Wifi uses a LOT less power than my 3G. I turn my 3G off most of the day cuz it just EATS the battery on this, unfortunate but if I want my battery to last the day I have to.
    I want my wifi to just connect when I come home and disconnect when I leave. And if I am around other frequented wifi spots maybe to do the same.
    Y5 NEVER turns off when I leave home and it's usually difficult to turn the wifi off manually unless I disable Y5. I've even emailed the developer a few times but never replies back. Maybe he's not too concerned....

10. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

For me, I use Timeriffic to turn on/off my wifi on a schedule. (I also do it the old fashion way by turning it on/off manually.) I use wifi mostly at home which is secure. I use my work wifi as well. I connect to public wifi, if I'm just doing general browsing on the net, since there's a greater chance of someone trying to still your personal info thru the air on.