1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

AutomateIT July 2013 app update removed GPS triggers?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gtbarry, Aug 4, 2013.

1. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    Any other AutomateIT users notice that they removed the ability to trigger GPS in the actions?

I relied on AutomateIT to turn on AND off gps with rules I set up for when Maps, Waze, Nike, etc launched. Also for device location. Now, it seems that this ability has been removed.

Admittedly, I was using the free version, but one of the most recent reviews in the Play Store says that it was also removed in the paid version.

Anyone know if Tasker can receive an email and launch GPS? IF I am forced to pay, I will pay for another app and not AutomateIT if they pull this kind of stuff.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    With the release of Gingerbread, Android started blocking user apps from turning GPS on or off. This didn't affect my OG Droid using a custom ROM, or my Bionic, but Tasker cannot toggle GPS on my Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.3. My guess is that this became too problematic for the developer of AutomateIt and they removed the feature; I wouldn't really blame the developer.

However, if you're rooted you can work around this limitation in Tasker by using the Secure Settings plugin and using Titanium backup to convert Secure Settings to a system app, or also installing the Secure Settings plugin.

gtbarry likes this.
  3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    So there appears to be no common way to automatically turn gps on/off anymore. WHich sucks, because I loved being about to do that.

Kind of strange that this has been in place for awhile now, but this just stopped working in the last few weeks.

(BTW upon further review, it may have been the 4.3 update that knocked this out. That and the July update of the AutomateIT app happened around the same time)

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    It's possible that the developer had implemented a workaround, but the workaround no longer worked. I can certainly understand a developer getting frustrated by Google or an OEM locking things down, since it often leads to unhappy customers while the developer's hands are tied.

I'm getting pretty tired of it as a user.

gtbarry likes this.
  5. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    I just don't get why they talk about the issue being GPS being on when not needed. Well, have a way to have the programs that use GPS turn them on and off automatically then people!!!!!

6. yaronm

yaronm Newbie
    None

The "Enable/Disable GPS Action" was not removed and is still available on devices that support that feature.

As stated on the app FAQ page:
    On Android 4.2 there was probably a "glitch" by Google so this action was again available for unrooted devices (Mainly, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4) but on Android 4.3 this is no longer available unless you are rooted.

gtbarry likes this.