1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Automatic 3G shut off?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by busted bones, May 29, 2011.

1. busted bones

busted bones Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Shipping and Receiving Manager
    Does anyone know of an app or a setting on this phone that will automatically shut off the 3G or 4G? It would be nice to not have to turn it on and off each time I check Facebook, words with friends, or dolphin browser.

Advertisement

2. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

Well if you go under wireless networks under mobile network it should let you turn off or on "always on mobile data."

3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    i dont know of an app that will automatically shut it off but there are widgets you can get place it on your home screen then just tap to turn on and off saving yo the trouble of having to keep going through the menus to control it.

There is one called 4g toggle for Evo. Widgetsoid is another and will allow you to customize a data widget such as transparency color etc. Another one you might want to look at is Dataswitch.

There are many others just go into the market and search data toggle, or 3g 4g off

4. busted bones

None

Dec 19, 2010
    How much of a difference does the always on mobile data make and will it randomly sync apps when I don't tell them too? I've used the widgets and while they do make it a little less annoying, my main page is taken up by my most common apps and ICE.

5. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    If you have mobile data always on then it will follow the sync schedule you have set up, hourly, every few hours or manual refresh/sync when you open an app or widget. However with mobile data turned off, unless you are on wifi, there will be no syncing or anything as far as data use is concerned because there won't be a data connection

Also on a side note to save space on my screen for the common apps I use, I use an app called dock4droid. It's a little tab that you can place somewhere along the edge of your screen tap it to show most recent or most used apps. Also convenient for switching to and from apps without going back to the homescreen/app drawer

6. Muellersirch

Muellersirch Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    You are probably looking for something similar to Juice defender. there are 3 versions on the market, you need the free one even if you get one of the pay ones (they work more like a key to unlock the base program)

7. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Male
    security and surveillance and finance
    Windy City of Chicago
    I find this to be a rather good idea for a app to be created for the future!!! :)

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I often use timmeriffic... the best it gives I believe is scheduled airplane mode...ie

scheduled time of airplane mode AND wifi on etc (which is completely unnecessary though..3g turns off auto when you turn on wifi)

may I ask what specific circumstances you are in when trying to do this? Personally I have found no reason to turn off 3g data but I could see one doing so to try and conserve battery life.

4g ..sounds like you are doing it right..turn it on when you need it. (i.e. downloads and heavy heavy interweb usage..or if 3g just plain sucks and it's available)

9. busted bones

None

Dec 19, 2010
    Main reason for this is where I work Ill have to spend up to 12-13 hours away from a charger and during that time Ill have periods where Ill check emails, forums, facebook and other random things online. Occasionally I forget to turn off 3G and as any one with an EVO 4G knows that it will almost certainly mean my phone is dead by the time Im able to get back to my charger. Id kinda like this as a way to safe guard against that and also just a convenience type of thing.

The area I currently live in doesnt have 4G but I spend a lot of time in an area that does and oddly enough it SEEMS like I get better battery life running just 4G instead of 3G.

Tags: