• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Automatic Screen Time-Out Failing

Evolver

Jul 6, 2010
I am on 2.2, rooted and deodexed, and something funny happens every time I charge the phone. If the phone is on the charger and receives a notification, the screen does not turn off. If after I have charged the phone I receive a notification, the screen still does not turn off. It dims as if it is going to turn off, but doesn't. I have the screen time-out set to 15 seconds and use Screebl to manage shutting the screen off, both of which seem to fail. I do not have "stay awake" checked under the developer options and all of this is fixed by a reboot, but it would be nice if anyone could offer a solution to the problem since it's pretty annoying having to reboot every time after I connect it to my computer. Thanks in advance!

@Evolver -- did you ever figure out the problem?

I have exactly the same issue and I haven't done anything "daring" at all -- no new ROMs, no "pre-release" upgrades. Just rooted the phone and froze the apps listed here. I also have made sure that the "stay awake" option is not checked (never was, but I double checked)

And just like you, when I reboot the phone, timeout seems to work again for a while, but then it stops working-- and just like you said, the screen dims as if it's going to turn off, but it never does. Just stays dimmed.

If anyone has ideas, I'm open to trying them. . . TIA

PS> I have just unfrozen ALL the apps I froze and the problem continues. . . Still have not rebooted, though, because as I said, I know that will solve the problem "for a while"

Upvote 0
I think I found a solution to the problem - at least in my case. I have been using Titanium Backup to do a nightly backup.

Open Titanium Backup go to PREFERENCES and scroll all the way down to the TROUBLESHOOTING SETTINGS section. Click on WAKELOCKS MODE and select something other than "Keep screen on" which is the default setting.

I have just discovered this setting, so I can't say for sure which works best, but I think anything other than KEEP SCREEN ON.

Right now I've started by experimenting with KEEP CPU RUNNING.

Again, I can't say for sure this is the solution, but I figured I'd post before I forget. Hopefully it'll help someone out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones