• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Automatic Task killer - does it work on your droid?

Skyfox16

Oct 29, 2009
Cleveland
Hello all,

i was just wondering how many of you have downloaded "Automatic Task Killer" and have gotten it to work....

On my phone i have downloaded it but when i click to start it it blips the screen really fast then goes back to the desktop....

not sure if advanced task killer is stopping Automatic task killer from being able to start or what....

any thoughts?

thanks

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of having over 100mb free, and where do you go to find out how much you have free?

any of these task managers will show you free ram. i don't think there is anything on a stock droid to show you free/used ram (just sdcard and internal storage used/free).

but think of free ram as a computers "work space". when you open up an app or a picture you want to edit or a pdf or whatever, the more free ram you have the smoother that process is. if you're running with mostly full ram, then when you tell the phone to do or work with something that's not already residing in ram, its got to make room for it. and then it can do what you just told it to do.

computers have multi-gigs of ram now. back in the day, ram was limited and the computer had to rely much more on hard drive space as virtual ram which is why older computers always sounded like mini dot-matrix printers chugging away everytime you opened up lotus. :)

Upvote 0
any of these task managers will show you free ram. i don't think there is anything on a stock droid to show you free/used ram (just sdcard and internal storage used/free).

but think of free ram as a computers "work space". when you open up an app or a picture you want to edit or a pdf or whatever, the more free ram you have the smoother that process is. if you're running with mostly full ram, then when you tell the phone to do or work with something that's not already residing in ram, its got to make room for it. and then it can do what you just told it to do.

computers have multi-gigs of ram now. back in the day, ram was limited and the computer had to rely much more on hard drive space as virtual ram which is why older computers always sounded like mini dot-matrix printers chugging away everytime you opened up lotus. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you for you answer. I'm sure this has been covered, but since I have your attention :D, doesn't the Droid have a built in "task killer"? In the applications settings, you can kill tasks in the "running services" section as well as the "manage applications" when you filter it for apps that are running. What does advanced task killer (free or paid?) have as an advantage to the stock system?

the stock "running services" is very rudimentary and not very useful. if you were to download a task manager you would see everything that's in ram (the build-in "running services" doesn't list everything that's currently running). you would also be able to apply filters that would allow you more control over which apps do or do not get killed.

the "manage applications" shows you what's installed (user installs not stock apps) and allows you to remove them. it's not a list of running applications per se. yes you can go in and force close an app, but you have to know that it's running and if you want to close multiple apps there is a lot more work involved than with a 3rd party manager that shows you a line by line list and lets you close en masse or per app.

Upvote 0
I've been using Advanced Task Killer for quite a while and really like it. Have it set up to auto-kill apps every two hours. Seems like my battery lasts longer not having so many apps running in the background.

I have gone through all the setting on this app, and cannot find where to set the "Auto kill". I have a few apps set to be ignored, but I can't figure out how to auto kill the rest

Upvote 0
have been using automatic task killer for a few weeks, and ever since my phone runs cleaner, faster, and battery life has been amazing. You just really have to be careful which apps you choose to automatically kill. Anything you would want to run when the screen goes to sleep do not kill such as media players, streaming audio, your home, email, so on and so forth. But it works great on my moto droid.

Upvote 0
I had switched out my phone at one point and bought into the "You do not need this" theory, after about a month with my phone running slower and slower, I downloaded this and got back up to speed.

But I have a question, why do the apps that I haven't launched show up as running (over and over), like Gesture Search, Skype, Corporate Calendar, among others?

Added: These apps do not show up as running in the phone's stock "running services" menu

Upvote 0
I am still relatively new to all things android. Have owned my droid for a little over a month now. Some people say that a task killer is not needed with the android OS. My question is, if thats the case, why is it when I randomly use ATK, it will show many programs running? (many of which I didnt even open) Are they false readings of some kind? Looking for insight, thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones