• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Automatically change to strongest wi-fi

lvq684

Lurker
Jul 15, 2011
I know this question has been asked in the past, but the answers seems to be outddated.
I have a OnePlus 7 pro running Android 9. In my home I have two wi-fi spots, one on the first floor, and the second on the second floor. Both have the same SSID and the same password. Now when I´m on the first floor I have strong signal on wi-fi spot 1. When I move to the second floor and stands next to wi-fi spot 2, the phone still holds the connection, which are now very poor, to the first spot. If I turn wi-fi off and then on, it chooses the second and strongest wi-fi spot.
I know that I can install apps which takes care of this. But I am not interested in this, since I dont want another app with a process bar icon running all the time, and neither do I want to ask my guests to install apps when they connect to my wi-fi.
In my w-fi settings on the phone I´ve enabled Intelligent wi-fi selector, but it doesent seem to have any effect. I've also tried with a Oneplus 3, but same problem.
I´ve tried the same test with an older Iphone, and it automatically changed to the strongest wi-fi.

So how come this isn´t a standard behaviour on android?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones