• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Automatically turn on wireless when you access the internet?

Thanks, but all that seems to do is turn things on or off depending on your location. So if I'm sat at home all day and don't go online, it'll still be wasting battery linking to my router. I would like something that's triggered by an app opening and closing if possible, not a location.

Locale can trigger events by more than just location though I am not aware of a plugin that does what you want to do. And as others have said, keeping your wifi connected if you are at home all day will use less power than if you were connected to the cell network.

Upvote 0
My point is, with the exception of it doing it's sync stuff every so often, it shouldn't be using either method permanently as I want it to only connect when I want to browse or whatever. No matter if WiFi uses less power, it would still use less if it's off.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
download Juice Defender. its very close to what youve described.it will turn off wifi and/or 3g when your screen is off. You can also set it to reconnect for short periods when your screen is off so that your autosync stuff can refresh........ie it would connect for 5 minutes every hour to check for gmails etc. Very configurable. And it does save alot of battery life doing this with wifi in addition to 3g. You need pay version to control wifi I think though. Worth it though.

Upvote 0
My point is, with the exception of it doing it's sync stuff every so often, it shouldn't be using either method permanently as I want it to only connect when I want to browse or whatever. No matter if WiFi uses less power, it would still use less if it's off.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
As has been pointed out, your logic makes sense if you are also turning off mobile network.

If not, leave wifi always on (advanced settings never sleep too) when you have wifi available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones