• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

automatically turning computer off when i go out.

you could use a vnc app or unified remote - not automatic but will be dead easy to switch off your pc from your phone.

I've been using android vnc to control both by pc's for ages - works great. Even today, vnc'd in from work to download the Mafia II demo :)

Can't use vnc remotely, because I don't have a static ip. And my computer runs linux, so I can't use unified remote.

Upvote 0
Can't use vnc remotely, because I don't have a static ip. And my computer runs linux, so I can't use unified remote.

You could try it by setting up a dyndns account and configuring it in your router. It effectivley maps a domain name to your routers current IP so you sort of have a static IP. You can then configure the port forwarding so you can use VNC to control your PC.

or you could try teamviewer, is compatible with linux and you should be able to access your pc through the browser on the desire

Upvote 0
You could use it to press the "off" button as you leave.

Supported . Simple solution to a complex problem.

Alternatively use the 'Power saving options' in the PC control panel to shut of if not used for xx number of hours or mins.

Not only will you be saving on your electricity bill, but also on the lifespan of the electronic components in your PC . Shut it down even when you are at home and not using it or at least put it on standby.

Upvote 0
nooow that's all so boring.

I know how to do the pc thing. I just want the phone to send an e-mail when it leaves a zone.
Maybe some "locale" magic.

I dont understand what you are asking , can you clarify.

Send an email to whom and what for? how can an email shut of your PC ? you have your phone in your hand and can send emails on your carriers network anytime you want.

There are apps in the app market that use GPS to send an SOS text message as soon as the phone is out of a predesignated area. Is that what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
I dont understand what you are asking , can you clarify.

Send an email to whom and what for? how can an email shut of your PC ? you have your phone in your hand and can send emails on your carriers network anytime you want.

There are apps in the app market that use GPS to send an SOS text message as soon as the phone is out of a predesignated area. Is that what you are looking for?

I already know how to shut down the pc with an e-mail. so i would like it done automatically from the phone.

Upvote 0
Hi jakupl

If your using Linux you can shutdown your PC down via an ssh command from your phone (something like "sudo shutdown -h now").

I use an app called ServerAssistant which saves ssh commands as buttons to control my PC. I have it setup to turn my PC on and off with a click of a button (providing I have a WIFI or 3G signal).

Of course if you want this to work outside your home network you will have to take nacatomi's advice and setup a dyndns account on your router and point the ssh command to a URL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones