1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Automplete/Predictive Dialing

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by guiri, Dec 3, 2013.

1. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Two ways.

Accessibility:
    [​IMG]

Display:
    [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. guiri

guiri Newbie

Awesome, and this is standard?

3. codesplice

This is stock 4.4. I don't remember the "Large Text" option in 4.3 and prior, but I do know am pretty sure the Display > Font Size option has been there since 4.0.

4. guiri

guiri Newbie

So, if I get a phone with 4.2, can I upgrade to 4.4 myself?

5. codesplice

It depends on the phone, and on whether you're wanting an official update or a community-built one.

6. guiri

guiri Newbie

So, do I care what kind of update I get and if I get a community one, will it retain all the features?

7. codesplice

That depends :p

Typically a community-built ROM will only add features, not take them away - though it entirely depends on the ROM.

8. guiri

guiri Newbie

So, got a good rom you can suggest?

9. codesplice

It depends on the device and what you want out of a ROM. Some go for a bajillion customization options; some go for lightweight and high performance; some are more geared towards enhancing and polishing the existing experience, or replicating functions from other phones, or experimenting with new UI tweaks. There are a bunch of different options.

There's a pretty thorough post over on XDA that compares some of the different ROMs available. I suggest you give it a read :)

10. guiri

guiri Newbie

I'll take a look. Frankly, I don't need a lot of stuff. Predictive dialing and large fonts and I'm good to go.

11. codesplice

Sounds like you should just get a device with stock Android 4.3+ and call it a day.

12. guiri

guiri Newbie

So, I don't need 4.4 then?

Problem is the cheapo chinese phones I was going to try just to give it a shot are only 4.2...

13. codesplice

Just remember that you get what you pay for ;)

And you'll need 4.3 for the T9 dialer (unless you get something with an "enhanced UI" from the manufacturer - Sense, TouchWiz, etc).

You'd probably be better off looking for a used N4 on Swappa - I've seen some folks selling theirs for sub-$200 prices, which is a great price on what is still a very good phone.

14. guiri

guiri Newbie

Double post, ignore...

15. guiri

guiri Newbie

Yeah, I know but have no money for something better. HOWEVER, the reason I have to go with a chinese phone is that I want a dual sim card phone...

16. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

How about a Samsung dual sim phone then? It's going to be way more reliable than a standard no-brand Chinese one. More reliable Chinese brands are ok IMO, like Huawei, Lenovo, Oppo, among others. The Galaxy Grand is quite a decent dual SIM phone IMO.

As for the others, you don't need 4.3 then. Heck my old Samsung Galaxy S (first one, LCD variant) on 2.3 had font size and smart dialing. My 4.1.2 Galaxy S3mini right now has it. Of course this is stock Samsung ROM.

17. guiri

guiri Newbie

What kinda money for that samsung dual sim? HOw is their tech support on phones?

I've had two samsung printers and I have NEVER had such poor service before. It was beyond horrible.

18. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Depends on your location. I'm not in the US so I wouldn't know. And support in my country is pretty good. The Samsung computers and cellphones don't work with the same department AFAIK. They even have separate stores and service centers in my country. They might as well be different companies.

19. guiri

guiri Newbie

Well, that's good news then. Do you have a model number that I can look up for a price?

20. guiri

guiri Newbie

I just did a search and there's a buttload of them including some with android 2.3, some without warranty and so on...

21. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, for starters try anything labeled Samsung Galaxy Duos. That's the dial sim phones for them.

22. guiri

guiri Newbie

THanks. So, if I get a samsung and I'm getting 4.1 or higher, I'm good then?

23. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Heck even Samsung with 2.3 have smart dialing. Basically any Samsung will do unless the specs don't cut it for your requirements. LG also has dual sim Android phones AFAIK, so you can check them out as well.

24. guiri

guiri Newbie

Thanks. What about the font size? How far back in the OS does that option go?

25. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator