1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Autonomous Cars: Not Yet Ready for Prime Time

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by rootabaga, Mar 19, 2018.

1. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    wow.. it is interesting the bias and fear that AI cause.
    unreasonable fear.. in this situation of cars with AI.

AI .. in cars... will always be better on the whole.. vs Humans.

even with AH drivers.. being aggressive on the road...
    AI-cars will react better and faster.. to let the AH-car drive away... no fuss / no muss.
    Humans will react un-favorably & un-safely against the AH-car.

this morning.. a car cut me off...
    and i followed him closely .. tailed him for a while to mess with him...
    this was a NO-NO. and could have escalated.
    but an AI, would have just ignored it..

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Unless the sensor didn't detect the car cutting it off, or it did, but the programming didn't recognize the threat from the sensor and didn't tell the steering, braking, accelerator actuators to react, and if it did tell them to react the calculations were correct, and the actuators did what the programming expected them to do, and the road conditions (e.g. sand, ice, heat, new asphalt, dirt road, etc.) performed the way the computer expected them too, as well as the other car not making an unanticipated (unprogrammed) adjustment. Once the automated car reacts all these sensors and systems need to alos reprocess the all the information once the corrective actions are put in place.

Getting back to my "lawyers will be the problem" statement, unless one entity is responsible for all of those systems, the lawyers will sue everyone else. It will be a big, legal, finger pointing. Look at the case the started this thread. The company that made the safety systems for Volvo blamed uber for turning them off.

tonymddn likes this.
  3. doubletop

doubletop Lurker
    None

May 15, 2018
  4. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

Aug 11, 2014
    More or less IT, lots of hand-holding
    Crazyville, CA
    tonymddn likes this.
  5. tonymddn

tonymddn Android Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2017
    Male
    Ex chauffeur, other non techie stuff.
    London
    I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

This car is on Autopilot. What happens next? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44460980

I rest my valise.

To defend, attempt to mitigate or apportion blame is well... disgusting.

These should be banned for the foreseeable future, imv.

mikedt likes this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    These are not autonomous vehicles by any meaningful definition.

The industry defines 6 levels of autonomy, from level 0 (none) to level 5 (can handle anything a human driver can). Systems like Tesla's "autopilot" (and similar from a couple other manufacturers) are level 2 on this scale, which is basically "glorified cruise control" (driver can disengage from wheel and pedals simultaneously, but must monitor continually and be ready to take control at any moment). In other words there are no conditions under which safety critical functions can be wholly delegated to the vehicle at this level of autonomy (if that's possible in some conditions you reach level 3).

The problem is that at least some people owning such vehicles seem incapable of accepting just how limited they are. Some have suggested that marketing names like "autopilot" don't help people appreciate the limits, and certainly there's a "tension" between what companies say when thing go wrong and the impression that their marketing gives of the system's capabilities.

So should systems at this level be banned? I think there are two possible arguments. Firstly that this limited level of competence will tend to promote disengagement of the driver despite their constant attention actually still being required, even if they intellectually understand the limitations. And secondly that a sufficiently large number of people will not be capable of judging the system's competence accurately: they'll see it handle a few simple circumstances fine and will overestimate its capabilities, however the limitations are explained to them, because their experience is the things they see it do and they've no way of appreciating the many ways in which its limitations can manifest.

Personally I don't think I'd want anything less than Level 4 (capable of managing an entire trip fully autonomously), so I'm quite open to systems like this being taken off the road. Though if we can find a way or removing distracted/angry/impatient/macho drivers I'd still give that a higher priority ;) (though the two are not exclusive).

LV426, tonymddn and mikedt like this.
  7. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Wow that's scary. No I certainly wouldn't trust that car. It's basically just a glorified cruise control.

tonymddn likes this.
  8. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Lol! I used the same term as you, without first reading your response here. "Glorified cruise control" is right, and I suspect a lot of drivers do over-estimate what a car such as this can do. From all the marketing hype and publicity I've seen around Tesla, my impression was that the cars were a lot more capable than shown in this demo.

tonymddn and Hadron like this.
  9. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Looking for a Job
    The Shire
    Unforgiven and tonymddn like this.