• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Autowipe app (beta) - For those with Froyo

Check edits below for updates:

I know apps aren't normally posted here but considering the N1 is the only device with 2.2 on it I thought I might dare to assume an exception could be made.

I'd like to introduce a beta (rough) version of a new app I'm developing for 2.2+, called Autowipe.

Quick description: Android 2.2 (Froyo)+ includes a new administrator feature. The administrator must be enabled by the user before it can perform its actions. This application focuses on the memory wipe feature of the administrator. If your device gets lost or stolen you can set up this application to automatically wipe the memory in the following conditions: failed passwords to unlock screen, SMS password received, subscriber ID changed (SIM card).

An advantage of this over current similar applications is that they don't use the build in Administrator and thus can be uninstalled. With this one, if the administrator is enabled it cannot be uninstalled.

As most of you probably know, Froyo (2.2) includes new phone wiping abilities. I've been working on an app to take advantage of this new feature and I'm excited to let others see it.
smile.gif
My intention is to release this free on the Market.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have a Froyo Phone! I am looking for some of you very nice people with N1s or Droids that have 2.2 installed to help me out with testing, as the Emulator can only go so far. Most importantly, I'm interested in seeing if the "Subscriber Id changed" action works when removing/changing SIM cards.

Thank you very much! I look forward to any feedback, positive or negative!

EDIT 21 July 2010:

I've posted a full release to the Android Market and am attaching below. (v0.9.10) I still don't have a 2.2 device so any feedback would be great!

Edit 28 July:

Update posted with small tweaks from feedback.

Attachments

• Autowipe Free v0_8_01 - Locks_Doesnt_Wipe.apk
    105.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Autowipe Free v0_9_10 - FULLY WIPES.apk
    148.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Autowipe Free v0_9_19 - FULLY WIPES.apk
    149 KB · Views: 141

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones