• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] ClockWorkMod 5.0.2.0/STOCK RECOVERY (working dl links 2/11)

anthony062991

Aug 6, 2011
I found over in the Russian forums ClockWorkMod 5.0.2.0 for a similar device like ours, but it works for our devices too.

WARNING:
If you brick your phone It was your choice!
Please read everythng!
DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER FROM THE ANDROID MARKET! YOU WILL GET A BRICKED PHONE!
MAKE SURE USB DEBUGGING AND UNKOWN SOURCES IS CHECKED IN YOUR SETTINGS/APPLICATIONS BEFORE MOVING ON!!

CLOCKWORKMOD

NOTE:
Recovery is UPSIDE DOWN so the volume keys to navigate is reversed!
(Up is Down and Down is Up)

How To Navigate into ClockWorkMod!

Make sure your phone is powered off first!
Press and hold MENU, Volume Up, and POWER all at the same time!

Once your into ClockWorkMod:

Use the HOME key to select
Use the BACK key to go back
Up Volume is Down
Down Volume is Up

How To Guide:

CLOCKWORKMOD

Download :
Recovery.img

Put both files at the root of your sd card

Download terminal emulator free from the market

Type in:
su (enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/Recovery.img (enter)
#
You should just get a pound sign at the end. If you didn't retry again.
reboot recovery (enter)
Your phone will reboot into recovery mode and you should see clockworkmod.

WHEN FIRST ENTERING CLOCKWORKMOD PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT ROM!!

What's WORKING:
reboot system now
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sd card
nandroid back up and restore

What's NOT working:
Any thing in the partitions menu
(will give you some sort of error)

UPDATE!

STOCK RECOVERY!

Download
stockrecovery

Put both files at the root of your sd card

Download terminal emulator free from the market

Type in:
su (enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/stockrecovery.img (enter)
#
You should just get a pound sign at the end. If you didn't retry again.
reboot recovery (enter)
Your phone will reboot into recovery mode and you should see stock recovery.

NOTE!
Once stock recovery is applied you are still rooted and everything stays the same, but you will have stock recovery insted of clockworkmod! If you want clockwork recovery back, then redo the steps for clockwrokmod at the top of this post!

CLOCKWORKMOD:
2m5xk5z.jpg

STOCK RECOVERY
21sfva.jpg

I take no credit for this!
Thanks to the Russian forums.
Reference:
Roamer. Big FAQ. [???????????] - ????? onliner.by

Hey Anthony, on my avail, if i reboot from a running phone into recovery, like you showed, everything works fine. However, if i power off the device, then hold the down volume button and power button to enter recovery, none of the buttons work. This concerns me because if i mess up my phone, i have no way to restore it. Does yours do this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hey Anthony, on my avail, if i reboot from a running phone into recovery, like you showed, everything works fine. However, if i power off the device, then hold the down volume button and power button to enter recovery, none of the buttons work. This concerns me because if i mess up my phone, i have no way to restore it. Does yours do this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I only had that problem a couple of times when nothing worked at all. I just pulled the battery out and re-flashed the recovery again. That should work. I haven't had any problems since.

Upvote 0
The moral of this experience is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS..... I have 5 phones right now, and have had around 20 over the past couple of years. They all enter recovery somewhat differently. A diff. combination of button pushing and holding, and let off this one now, etc.......
I was holding the volume down, and power button. The phone would boot into recovery, bur none of the buttons.would work. So, everything is good now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi Avail community, I'm new to android forums (I spend most of my time over at android central in the Optimus V forum) and I have been given the task of hacking my cousins Avail.

I know quite a bit about hacking phones, and I rooted the Avail the other day with no trouble, but I need to flash a new recovery on the phone so I can back up in case I brick it while theming my cousin's avail (all purple :p)... only the download links seem to not be working correctly. Am I supposed to sign up for that file share website to be able to download them??

Another question: Over at android central, there's a saying that Clockwork Rom Manager is a phone killer because the recovery it flashes is incompatible with my OV. Is this the same with the Avail or can I use the app to flash the recovery;)

Upvote 0
DO NOT USE THE APP TO FLASH CWM.
Follow Anthony's instructions. I have used it on a dozen phones no problems. But I have also bricked some when I was not knowing what to do. Anthony's method on this phone works great and ROM one.two is much better than stock.
Welcome to the forum.........

Thanks. Rom mananger seems to suck for a lot of phones. I'll try flashing it the way he said. Has anyone tried using flash image GUI?

EDIT: just outta curiosity, what would happen if you zipped the recovery and flashed it via the stock recovery naming it update.zip

Upvote 0
Finally got my avail rooted after looking around and reading all sorts of info from around the web and now I'm trying to put CWM on it and try this rom but the recovery.img won't download from 4shared. It keeps giving me the error

"Sorry, the file link that you requested is not valid.
Reasons for this may include:
Invalid link
The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of use"

Any idea where else I can get this file? I'm having a blast playing with this tiny little droid but I'm tempted to get something more powerful....

Upvote 0
Hi there,

we have two files Clockworkmod (Recovery.img) and Stock Recovery (stockrecovery.img).
It is said copy both files to root of your SD card. Does that mean both those files or there is a file I'm missing? I presume above mentioned files are just two ways of getting your phone into menu for recovery or custom upgrade.

I know the next one is gonna be dull, but could you just write the steps how to put custom ROM one.three, please?
Something like:
1. Root phone
2. Clockworkmod
3. Make backup
4. Follow one.three instructions.

I wouldn't like to mess up the phone, but it seems I cannot get the right order of sequence of actions that have to be done.

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
Hi there,

we have two files Clockworkmod (Recovery.img) and Stock Recovery (stockrecovery.img).
It is said copy both files to root of your SD card. Does that mean both those files or there is a file I'm missing? I presume above mentioned files are just two ways of getting your phone into menu for recovery or custom upgrade.

I know the next one is gonna be dull, but could you just write the steps how to put custom ROM one.three, please?
Something like:
1. Root phone
2. Clockworkmod
3. Make backup
4. Follow one.three instructions.

I wouldn't like to mess up the phone, but it seems I cannot get the right order of sequence of actions that have to be done.

Thanks!!!

By both files I'm assuming he means the CWM recovery img and the stock recovery img.
You're also asking about a step by step walk through, does this mean you're not yet rooted or are you just wondering what to do next?
Besides, you shouldn't worry about messing up the phone too bad because there's nearly always a way to get it working again. I've bricked my avail a couple times in the last few days tinkering with different setting and I've managed to bring it back to life every time.

Upvote 0
I'm not rooted yet. I just cannot comprehend the the whole procedure.
E.g. Why would I need both CWM and stock recovery?
I simply want to put a newer ROM to get best out of this phone, but obviously not so smart to get it all right :) I didn't do anything, because I want to be sure that I understand the process before I commence.
Thant's why I wrote that I need a sequence of actions how to do it. I'm ready to go through all sections by myself but not sure that I got it.
My understanding is: 1 root the phone (not done yet), 2. Install Clockwordmod. 3. Make backup (what app should I use for that) 4. Install one.three ROM (does Kernel comes with that package or I have to install it separatly?)

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
Rooting is ez done.
open Dialer
1.) Dial *983*7668# (do not hit send - you should see a message come up about being root) ( let it set for about 5 mins)
2.) Dial *983*24737# (do not hit send - you should see a message saying disabling QID)
3.) Go to market and download and install Superuser by chainsdd or ddchains -- should be the first in the list
4.) Run Superuser, hit the menu button, then select preferences, scroll down to Su Binary and do the update

then you should be all set, you may also consider installing busybox as a few root tools require it.

installing the clockworkmod
follow this post and put the file on the sd card. Stright forward just follow the steps.
also you will need to Download terminal emulator.

Installing one.three is just the same follow the steps and put the file on the sd card.
Yes the kernal is in with the one.three.
Its very hard to mess these steps up just read what you doing and then follow the steps. In 30 mins to an hour you will have it all done. Happy rooting

Reactions: Russ71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones