• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] Deodexing stock

Yeah but I want a stock deodexed rom so I can customize it myself and remove/keep the programs I want.

Nothing wrong with your ROM though. Its perfectly fine.

When I get off work later tonight i will get you stock rom deodexed to help you get started.

Or If you want to learn yourself there are several ways to make it. You can try android kitchen or apktool from xda. That will get you in the right direction. It does take some time. Just make sure you read everything. Hopefully your using linux, it is recommended for these tools.

Upvote 0
When I get off work later tonight i will get you stock rom deodexed to help you get started.

Or If you want to learn yourself there are several ways to make it. You can try android kitchen or apktool from xda. That will get you in the right direction. It does take some time. Just make sure you read everything. Hopefully your using linux, it is recommended for these tools.

If you could that would be great. I'll try and learn it myself as well so I know how it works and maybe create my own ROM

Upvote 0
If you could that would be great. I'll try and learn it myself as well so I know how it works and maybe create my own ROM

Here ya go! Complete stock deodex! Email.apk Email.odex was the only one that did not covert properly! I will take a look at it tomorrow.
Stock_Deodex.zip

Edit:
You can actually delete email. It is not needed in the system anyways.

Reactions: mazopanda
Upvote 0
Woah.. alright, I'm done screwing this with myself till someone helps :D

Extracted the Deodexed_Stock.zip and put the 'app' and 'framework' (the two and only folders needed to be muddled around with to deodex a rom i believe?)
and put the files onto my sd card.

Tried to use root explorer to overwrite all things in /system/app from the deodexed rom.. it hit an error, went into a boot loop. Luckily I was able to recover using CWM.

Perhaps using pushing the files in ADB wouldn't of caused such a mishap?

Or, another idea, could I just simply take the boot.img from one of my clockworkmod recovery folders (i am on stock odex rooted)... and replace it with the boot.img in the original 'Deodexed_Stock.zip' file?

That would be me trying to fix the original problem of just trying to flash it and getting the boot.img error
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot" android

I'm afraid to do any tests and don't have enough knowledge on ADB or the infrastructure to know if something is possible or if I'll cause another boot loop that I may or may not be able to restore (having CWM problems too)

Someone please help before I attempt any more experiments with this resulting in a deadened permanent brick :eek:

Upvote 0
Woah.. alright, I'm done screwing this with myself till someone helps :D

Extracted the Deodexed_Stock.zip and put the 'app' and 'framework' (the two and only folders needed to be muddled around with to deodex a rom i believe?)
and put the files onto my sd card.

Tried to use root explorer to overwrite all things in /system/app from the deodexed rom.. it hit an error, went into a boot loop. Luckily I was able to recover using CWM.

Perhaps using pushing the files in ADB wouldn't of caused such a mishap?

Or, another idea, could I just simply take the boot.img from one of my clockworkmod recovery folders (i am on stock odex rooted)... and replace it with the boot.img in the original 'Deodexed_Stock.zip' file?

That would be me trying to fix the original problem of just trying to flash it and getting the boot.img error

I'm afraid to do any tests and don't have enough knowledge on ADB or the infrastructure to know if something is possible or if I'll cause another boot loop that I may or may not be able to restore (having CWM problems too)

Someone please help before I attempt any more experiments with this resulting in a deadened permanent brick :eek:

you are going to ruin your phone.

number one, you don't just extract an update.zip and and copy and paste the folders from inside it to your device. this is not the right way to mod at all.

secondly, don't mess with the /system/app or /system folders at all unless you know what you're doing.

thirdly, you tried to replace system files that were in use and this most likely caused your problem.

not only this but you probably flashed a bad boot.img which is included in that .zip and this messed your phone up too.

1. you need to extract a working boot.img from one of your working nandroid backups, put it on the root of your sdcard, and flash using
Code:
adb shell
su
flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img
2. you need to reflash my A 1.03 recovery.img by extracting the .img from the .rar and putting on root of sdcard
Code:
adb shell
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
3. you need to then restore a working nandroid backup from before you started messing with it.

if this doesn't work, you need to find the stock T-flash and start over, which is probably what you should do anyway cause you might have really screwed your phone up.

Upvote 0
you are going to ruin your phone.

number one, you don't just extract an update.zip and and copy and paste the folders from inside it to your device. this is not the right way to mod at all.

secondly, don't mess with the /system/app or /system folders at all unless you know what you're doing.

thirdly, you tried to replace system files that were in use and this most likely caused your problem.

not only this but you probably flashed a bad boot.img which is included in that .zip and this messed your phone up too.

1. you need to extract a working boot.img from one of your working nandroid backups, put it on the root of your sdcard, and flash using
Code:
adb shell
su
flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img
2. you need to reflash my A 1.03 recovery.img by extracting the .img from the .rar and putting on root of sdcard
Code:
adb shell
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
3. you need to then restore a working nandroid backup from before you started messing with it.

if this doesn't work, you need to find the stock T-flash and start over, which is probably what you should do anyway cause you might have really screwed your phone up.

True and thanks. I probably will have to T-flash, reinstall cwm and start over to get things back in track. I was able to restore a nandroid back-up so the phone is working now but FUBAR'd something along the way trying to deodex this myself. I'll do that tomorrow since I've messed with this phone way too much for one day :eek:

Upvote 0
True and thanks. I probably will have to T-flash, reinstall cwm and start over to get things back in track. I was able to restore a nandroid back-up so the phone is working now but FUBAR'd something along the way trying to deodex this myself. I'll do that tomorrow since I've messed with this phone way too much for one day :eek:

might as well do it now while i'm at it tonight so that we can get you squared away.

i want you to have a working device. really, i do.

Upvote 0
stayboogy has been a great help, phone is full proper working order now.

But on this topic that I'm trying to work through..
anyone think it might be a kernel issue? I know anthony had his own kernel, and kernel information is apart of the boot.img file. I figured since it was just stock_deodexed it wouldn't be his kernel, but that would perhaps explain my error when trying to update (assert failed: write_raw_image), because of kernel compability issues.

I suppose I could update to his kernel only and then try to reflash it.. but that would be another risk/experiment I suppose.

I don't know I'm just sorting through my options right now... anyone with any insight please fill me in

thanks

Upvote 0
it's most likely the way he built the update.zip (not knocking him, just giving my $.02)

they have to be built properly, and most people, very many who are own these boards and other boards have no idea how to make them and have written incomplete and "homecook" tutorials that do not work properly

many more have just taken bits and pieces from other update.zip files and then replaced them and made a new one, and even though it might work sometimes and sometimes not work--it's still never done the correct way.

if it's not built with the sdk tools and a proper development environment, then it's not worth fooling around with. and sadly most of the stuff you find online is not done right in the first place. and it's hardly ever done right on windows...

that's my thoughts in a nutshell

Upvote 0
Well I flashed other roms, one.one, mh.1, one.three- with the custom kernals, then tried to flash stock_deodex.zip from CMW.. still same issue.

Made a backup before any of this, so I'm back to normal but that trial run showed those results.

So, right, there must be something wrong with the boot.img/zip file itself.. :/, guess I'll have to do it manually or figure out how to transfer the deodex'd files or get the stock_deodex.zip working somehow...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones