• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] (easy) REAL wifi FIX for "obtaining ip address" loop--found by me

stayboogy

Android Expert
Jun 15, 2012
here is a REAL FIX, NOT WORK-AROUND for the "obtaining ip address" loop without setting static ip address.

i found this myself, by examining error log dump, logbox, which for me was showing "E/dhcpcd ( 7097): / system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks: Permission denied"

system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks needs to have permissions fixed to "execute" by "user" "group" and "others" by using your favorite file explorer

this will fix your "obtaining ip address loop" without having to ever use static ip address

or at least it did mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BDhH2Yt0E&feature=youtu.be

here is a REAL FIX, NOT WORK-AROUND for the "obtaining ip address" loop without setting static ip address.

i found this myself, by examining error log dump, logbox, which for me was showing "E/dhcpcd ( 7097): / system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks: Permission denied"

system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks needs to have permissions fixed to "execute" by "user" "group" and "others" by using your favorite file explorer

this will fix your "obtaining ip address loop" without having to ever use static ip address

or at least it did mine.

how can i get to that. Im kind of a noob. But my wifi doesnt even scan it just sits there for like 10sec then turns off.

Upvote 0
how can i get to that. Im kind of a noob. But my wifi doesnt even scan it just sits there for like 10sec then turns off.

this is not for fixing a non-working wifi

this is for fixing the "obtaining ip address" loop that happens when you put the correct wep key for a network and it refuses to connect without manually setting up a static ip address.

for this you have to navigate to the above location using any root explorer, i use x-plore, and then long click on the file and make sure the check boxes are checked on the permissions to "execute" for each user group.

doesn't get any simpler than that.

Upvote 0
Change the permissions. Check the first execute.

exactly. change the permissions to "execute" for all users, groups, and others.

this should fix your problem.

if not, use catlog to find out what your error is. turn on your wifi, input the correct password, and then try to connect and immediately go to catlog and find what is giving you your error and go from there.

Reactions: Russ71
Upvote 0
exactly. change the permissions to "execute" for all users, groups, and others.

this should fix your problem.

if not, use catlog to find out what your error is. turn on your wifi, input the correct password, and then try to connect and immediately go to catlog and find what is giving you your error and go from there.

This i understood. The thing is that when i am in x-plorer and i am looking at the file. There is really nothing i can do except renmae, delete or show the details. Sorry if im beeing stupid here.

Upvote 0
This i understood. The thing is that when i am in x-plorer and i am looking at the file. There is really nothing i can do except renmae, delete or show the details. Sorry if im beeing stupid here.

long press the file, then scroll down to the very last option "permissions"

then make sure every box is checked

if you don't have all these options when you long press the file: rename, copy, move, create zip, delete, show details, share, open by, hex viewer, edit text, permissions;

then you need to press the menu button (while in x-plorer), go to configuration, then where the root access is, press it and select "Superuser + mount writable" which is the last option in the program, then you will be able to change permissions.

if you are still having trouble i don't know how to help you because this is pretty straight forward

Upvote 0
Just discovered this cool fix, but when I change my rights in X-plore as above, I can no longer open the root folder. Any suggestions?

if you've changed your rights in the settings of X-plore to "superuser + mount writable" and can no longer view the phone's root, well then there is something wrong with your su binary, or you aren't really rooted. this what you need to be able to do any editing whatsoever to your phone...

you could try another explorer and see if that fixes it, but i don't think it has anything to do with X-plore...

Upvote 0
I was having similar issue, couple of days back everything was fine, I was enjoying watching YouTube on my Xperia Mini Pro SK17i but after updating couple of Apps when I reconnect WiFi it keeps on obtaining IP address for two days than I realized that if obtaining IP is the issue why don't it put static. I put static IP because router was mine and it worked like charm.

Upvote 0
I was having similar issue, couple of days back everything was fine, I was enjoying watching YouTube on my Xperia Mini Pro SK17i but after updating couple of Apps when I reconnect WiFi it keeps on obtaining IP address for two days than I realized that if obtaining IP is the issue why don't it put static. I put static IP because router was mine and it worked like charm.

my method FIXES the issue

what you have done is a work-around, and is practically useless for those who are trying to connect to wifi that is not their own.

and this work-around is the common, improper way of correcting the problem.

if you actually want to fix the issue i suggest you try what i posted

Upvote 0
What file explore are you using?

I use ES File Explore. I just had to go back in this morning to reset my permissions but before I could I had to reinstall the file explore for root permissions to work. I have no idea what is going on. I had made these changes some time ago & everything was working last night but this morning WiFi was in obtaining IP address.

Upvote 0
hi.. I already tried your method
but it say "changing permissions was not succesful. please note that some file systems do not allow permission changes"
I am using galaxy note
what do I do?

you need to have full access to do this. if you're not rooted you can't do it.

i suggest using x-plore, and in the configuration you need to make sure you have "superuser+mount writable" under the root access setting.

Upvote 0
you need to have full access to do this. if you're not rooted you can't do it.

i suggest using x-plore, and in the configuration you need to make sure you have "superuser+mount writable" under the root access setting.

Hi there I'm using Galaxy S3 E210K, I managed to do your guide successfully, but it did not work on my phone. Still "Optaining Ip address..." :(

Upvote 0
Hi there I'm using Galaxy S3 E210K, I managed to do your guide successfully, but it did not work on my phone. Still "Optaining Ip address..." :(

i never said it was GUARANTEED to fix the problem on other phones, or that it was GUARANTEED that this was the culprit

just this is the common issue, and this is the best way to fix it

you also might need to reboot the phone as well

other than that...

i suggest you get CatLog app from the store, and follow my post #9 below about how to examine logs and go from there.

that's how i found my error and fixed it

Upvote 0
Stayboogy, I've corrected the permissions and it still won't hook up to anything except open signals- Tim Horton's, McDonald's, Starbucks and the like. I did put in static IP and the other fields, it says its connected but, it won't get online. I've googled this issue and no dice. If you know another fix, lets give it a shot. Thanks, bud.

setting up static ip is not a fix. it's a workaround and a poor one at that.

but i'm not aware of any other fixes. if you've got the correct permissions on the dhcp hooks file, then there's something else causing your problem

do the same thing i've mentioned multiple times now

get CatLog from the app store

turn on wifi and try to connect and immediately start viewing the logs

this will show your error and give you ideas of where to look next.

Reactions: Russ71
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones