• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] Taking the next step....

TraceP38

Jul 7, 2012
Hello, all.

I've been living with my rooted Avail for about 2 months now and have been enjoying it tremendously as it's my first Android phone.

I currently have 54 System apps, and 63 User apps installed and running with 82.1 MB System ROM free and 27.7 MB of Internal RAM free. (that has been in the low 40's but I've moved a few root apps to internal in preparation for my next step...

TiBU and Link2SD have been very friendly to me, as well as the wealth of information this forum has provided.

So my questions are these: And I ask simply for my own clarification, realizing these are all covered in various other threads, but not quite as concisely as I'd like to help perhaps push me over the edge into ROM/kernel flashing...

I want to start using a partitioned 32GB class 10 SD card... what's the best way to make the switch to this card in the phone? Do I pre-partition the card or set it up the partition in CWM? I'm perfectly fine with re-installing all the apps I have and moving them around to the card.

I'm also on the verge of convincing myself that I want to try one of the ROMs I've been reading about here... As simply as possible what are the clear advantages to running one.three or MH-1.0 over the stock ROM stripped of the bloatware? Is anthony's kernel ACTUALLY producing overclocking? What's up with this loss of signal I've read about in a few user's circumstances? I'm at 1-3 bars if I'm lucky at my residence due to location. I can't really stand any signal degradation. Is this inherent in the non-stock ROMs? And is it true that Pandora won't run on aftermarket ROM's?

What I hope to gain is faster, smoother operation, better battery life, more usable space... like we all want.

At what point am I "polishing a turd" if the phone is stable, does what I want/need and is still fun to use on a daily basis?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions all.

:)

Some will argue that rooted stock is better, but to be honest, on this phone it's negligible. The custom ROMs are a little more streamlined and are generally easier to theme if you want to try that.

On a side-note, I'm glad to see my ROM mentioned :D (MH-1.0).

I'm running stock Rom, slimmed, with the o.c. kernel, Link2sd and T.B. The o.c. does make a difference in that most all functions are quicker. Especially the web loading pages.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

So "streamlined" and "slimmed"... does this simply mean that the bloatware is removed or is there additional internal space gained from running a non-stock ROM?

and, Russ... have you had any notable issues with the kernel? how is your battery life compared to stock?

Upvote 0
The battery life will plummet for the first few days while the system stabilizes, but otherwise it runs well. And I haven't figured out how to resize the partitions yet, so for now, gaining more space isn't possible.

My battery life actually got much better after the 2 full drain/charge cycles. Plus, I use the different govenor settings in No Frills when applicable. I haven't had any negatives with the o.c. kernal/stock rom.
Slimmed in my case means most bloat ware and useless apps gone. All the Google apps converted or linked to ext2. I made No Frills, Super user and T.B. system apps

Upvote 0
The kernel is flashed. running @ 825. so far so good. doesn't seem to be sucking too hard on the battery so far, but it's only been an hour or so...

tomorrow the 32GB class 10 card goes in and I'll repopulate apps on the ext2 partition and live with the phone like that for awhile before possibly making a ROM change.

Upvote 0
The kernel seems to be stable at 825 for me.

I partitioned the new SD card on the PC using the mini-partition utility, confirmed location or moved TiBU, Link2SD, NofrillsCPU, and GOLauncher to internal memory and ran a nandroid backup.

pulled that card (16GB class4) and installed the blank pre-partition 32GB card and set about re-installing my user apps from the market, linking as I went, rebooting after each 5 installs. This process took about 2 hours, but I now have 65 user apps running linked to the ext-2 partition, and STILL have 87.5 MBs of internal memory.

WOW! this worked exactly how I wanted it to.

I did notice that NofrillsCPU is telling me after each reboot that I'm not getting a "clean" shutdown and requires me to re-apply the CPU settings. I'm using TiBU to reboot.

Also, when I got everything back in place, re-themed, wallpapered, confirmed proper running of all apps, and copied all my music and pics from the old card to the new, I ran another nandroid backup. CWM couldn't backup the ext2 partition on the card, which concerns me. It said my device may not be capable. What's that all about?

Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with these recent changes. My Avail is peppier in all ways and I like having over 50% of internal memory free.

:)

Upvote 0
I've been running the one.three rom with clock set to Max 864 Min 245 the governer set to power saver & this seems to be the best setting for my phone that I've tried. I have no idea what to do with I/O so I leave it alone. battery life in my phone sucked for 2 weeks until my car charger quit on me & the phone fully drained. About another two days & it started getting better. link to SD is great along with root uninstall. Signal shows really crappy but I actually have better coverage then I did. I can talk & use the internet in places I couldn't before & as long as it shows coverage it doesn't matter if it even shows a bar but with the stock rom internet would'nt work with 2 bars.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones