• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Available Memory LESS in 2.3 vs. 2.2...where'd it go??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hi...

I figured that the internal memory available for installing apps might decrease going from 2.2 to flashing the 2.3 but it seems like there is A LOT of memory that has been used up by the stock ROM flash. I know there are various "bonus" crAPPS that have been added like Bloatbuster (Blockbuster) and other junk but even if you root-uninstall those type unwanted/unneeded apps, not much is regained and still doesn't explain the reduced available memory

So, I was wondering where the memory went to? Did it all go to the updated 2.3 system software apps?? (Forgive my ignorance with the next question) or am I experiencing the difference between my choice of installing the deodexed vs. odexed ROM?? Or is there some other reason for the tighter memory??

THANKS!

well odexed is a lot smaller but you can't theme it, not that there are any themes out for it just yet anyway. but when i tried it out, it did not notice any reduced memory. tb was able to restore all of my previous apps. so not sure for you.

Do you have any clue about "how much" smaller we're talking?? I don't recall what my available memory was before the flash (on 2.2) and then right after the flash 2.3...but could it be like a 30MB difference or so??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones