• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Available memory...

ZimLanfire

Feb 3, 2010
I'm wondering how much available memory that everyone has on their Moment.

With just a few apps running, I typically hover right around 40MB of free memory.

-Voice Control (always on regardless)
-GMail
-Moxier Mail

With FeedR running, it's around 35MB.

Normal? Yes? What are ya'll running at any given time?

It seems like, no matter what, my memory will always go back down to between 25-30MB available. I can go in and kill a bunch of stuff and it'll jump to around 40-60MB, but soon after go back down to 25. I know it works differently than my 'windows trained' mind (using GC), and other than when a resource intensive Service is running, I don't notice any performance difference when my task killer says 40 or 25MB available.

What I do wonder about is, how much space do you have free on your device storage? and at what point does anyone think it will start to affect performance? I have 115MB free of 217MB right now.

Upvote 0
Well, I can TELL you what level causes performance issues. Occasionally after running some random things on my phone (I have... 165 installed things according to app dragon) it'll occasionally drop to 15mb-10mb. This is about the only time it starts to affect performance: Transitions become chunky and slow, other apps take longer to open because the phone must close some other running ones. Other than that, I never worry about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones