• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Available space warning

Blizzard

Nov 22, 2009
I was getting a warning that I was low on internal available space. I have emptied caches and remove a bunch of old email stuff, but it is still relatively low- 16 MB.

Is this normal?

What readings are you getting?

Is there a way to download apps or any other space using data to the SD card?

I am pretty good about deleting apps and texts, cache, etc. but my phone seems to be consistently at 37% now (60 MB). It was as low as 32% until I deleted some apps. What else is taking up so much memory? I don't have that many apps installed, it worries me that there is a real limited to the number of apps you can have on here if you can put them on the SD card.

Upvote 0
I had 40% free after upgrading to 2.1. Because of the dialer lag issues, I did a factory reset and re-downloaded and re-installed all my apps. I'm now at 66% (106 Mb) free.

I spent so much time setting up the new home screen, settings, etc. I would hate to do a factory reset now! I wonder what other data can safely be deleted that you don't need. I deleted my contact data at one point and then Google restored it perfectly which solved a problem with Facebook contacts. Just wondering what other data we can delete safely....

Upvote 0
I had this issue about 2 months ago on leak v1. I tried to delete a bunch of messages & apps and it didn't work. Eventually my phone got into an endless loop of turning off and getting to the lock screen and then turning off again. Ended up having to do a factory reset to fix it. Now on leak v3. No issues since then.

Upvote 0
but it is still relatively low- 16 MB.

Is this normal?

What readings are you getting?

16 MB??? That just seems crazy!...
I dont think I ever hit anythign below 40MB....

If you're not on the leak, i highly recommend rooting and getting a rom with Apps2SD.
Seems like you like having a ton of apps...
So rooting is definately for you!

I have over 40 apps installed and have 102 MB internal memory ;)

Upvote 0
Here's what you need to do:

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications

Inside of Manage applications, hit Menu > Sort by size

This will show you what's killing your memory. I had a similar issue and it turned out that the ZAGAT '10 widget was storing all of its Cache as Data and just CRUSHED me. I had to uninstall then reinstall the application to fix my issue. Now, I still use ZAGAT '10, I just don't use the widget.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Just a quickie question.

Under SD card & phone phone storage, it gives values for SD card space and the internal phone storage.

(Mine are 5.43GB available out of 7.39GB and 88.70MB available under Internal phone storage.)

What is the are the values shown under Settings - Applications - Running Services (all the way at the bottom)?

Mine are:
Avail: 22MB+0.00B in 6
Other: 0.00B in 4

Upvote 0
Wow, I wish I knew what secret you guys were using to get all that memory! I just went to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications and cleared the cache of just about everything I had.

I did a factory reset a week ago (using leak v3), and installed 10 apps. I have some background pictures app, Handcent, System Panel, Color Note, Easy Tether, Flixter, Shazam, Speedtest, and Yahoo Droid IM.

Most don't seem to run unless I execute them, but even after a fresh reboot (then killing anything that starts up that I don't use) I still only have 78 MB free. That will trickle down to about 30 MB before I notice my Eris running slow. So then I go into System Panel and kill unused apps. This brings it back up to around 60 MB before it trickles down again.

Is there any way to see if an app has a memory leak?? I'm thinking one of my apps has one. Grrr.

Upvote 0
LOL...I think I know what you mean by that...maybe. How is that the case, though, when 98.5% of the posts suggest that leak V3 is the same thing as the 2.1 OTA??

Aside from my lack of knowledge with all things Android, I'm pretty technically savvy...hence, I would appreciate some clear direction, if you wouldn't mind. I've been considering rooting my phone, but I'm not sure which version to go with.

My only real objective is to get rid of "junk" apps like the MP3 Store so I have more memory. If I could observe my System Panel never (and I mean NEVER) going under 50 or 60 MB or RAM, I would be happy as a clam in high tide. I just want it to always run fast (like when it has more than 30 MB of RAM) no matter how many apps I run. It'd be great if the OS actually handled unused apps as well as some people think it does. Achieving this relatively small feat would be the only reason I'd root. I don't want to do anything crazy, just free up some RAM.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
OK, another LOL. Just opened System Panel to see how it was doing...after my first post an hour and a half ago, I shut off my Eris and rebooted it. After it came up, I went into System Panel, shut down a few apps that run automatically (Color Note, the built in Calendar, the built in Clock, and Easy Tether) and had about 77 MB RAM.

I then went to the gym. On the drive home, I uninstalled the lame "Backgrounds" app, but I don't think it ever ran without being launched manually. Casually used my phone (voice only) and I'm at 41 MB of RAM. I can't help but think that the Yahoo Droid IM is causing it.

Either way, are there any apps that really show what's going on at the system level? Or, again, maybe some good advice with a good rooted OS?

Upvote 0
OK, just removed the "Yahoo Messenger" for Droid (by MSN?) app. It seems to have stabilized in the mid 70 MB range for RAM. Much improved. Maybe that app is junk. I'd still like to figure out how you guys get free RAM in the range of 90+!! ;-)

Me either! I'm at 68 MB and that's after lots of tweaking. I can't seem to get it any higher. I don't have a lot of apps installed. I constantly clear cache, etc. Just curious how many contacts people have. That might eat up a lot of memory.

One curious thing about battery this morning. I turned on my phone in the same place as I always do, second floor bedroom. Had 2 bars. Did the airplane trick and it went to 1 bar and has stayed there! That's frustrating!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones