1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Average Data Usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigapple2, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm looking at different plans for a new HTC Desire and am wondering what everyone's average data usage of their Desire is. Basically, I am debating between a plan that will give me a 3GB FU policy and another SIM only plan that will give me a 1GB FU policy. Prices and other factors are more or less irrelevent currently.

I think I will be an average-heavy user, with about an hour and a half of bus time to kill every day probably making up the bulk of my usage. I don't plan to tether at all though.

Opinions? 1GB or 3GB?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I generally have access to wifi most places I go but I suppose it would depend on what you are wanting to do. If you want to stream music or video or do a lot of surfing you will almost certainly need the 3GB plan. On the desire you get the "full" web experience so its a lot more bandwith heavy than other phones you might have used. Although you could use Opera which does clever things on its servers to re-render web pages and send you compressed versions.

3. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    depends what you intend to do in that travel time. I average about 40MB a month as I tend to use mine at home and in the office on WiFi most of the time. I was expecting my usage to be higher than the allocated 500MB a month thru Orange, but I am quietly surprised at the moment.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I use close to 1GB at the moment. Whej I get Slingplayer it will most likely be more.

5. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I would recommend the 3gb package for peace of mind to use it as much as you want.

I tend to use anywhere between 1gb and 2gb per month out of my 3gb allowance. I usually browse the internet for less than an hour and a half each day. I have emails, calendar, twitter, etc updating frequently and also several news feeds. Using Google Navigation a few times a month contributes to some of my usage.

6. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Okay, will be getting the Desire with T-Mobile UK, their FU policy is 3GB for Android phones. The other alternative I was previously considering was buying the phone separately then getting a SIM only plan, but that would restrict me down to the usual 1GB FU policy.

Thanks guys.

Tags: