1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Average Price Phone,Awesome Rooting and Custom ROM potential

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by 5fdprox, Feb 1, 2014.

1. 5fdprox

5fdprox Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2013
    Hey all,Love these forums and ive learned alot here,so thanks to everyone..I owned a optimus elite vm696 and learned about rooting and custom ROM from that phone,it shattered,i bought a 20$ kyocera event and im not happy with it at all.Having a few kids I didnt have a choice.
    My question is for a person who doesnt have 300$ to spend on a phone what,in everyones opinion is your favorite,average priced phone,that has great rooting and Custom ROM capabilities?? Id appreciate the help.After this last year or so Im a sucker for the Droid life just too many bills and would just like to get an idea of some phones to check out! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    5fdprox,

I've moved your thread over here from the Android Hacks/Mods area to the Device/Carrier Comparison area where I think you'll get more views and feedback (and there are already similar threads for you in here that may be helpful).

(btw, if other Staff thinks the Android Lounge might work for this thread, too, please move with my blessing :))

Best of luck and have a great rest of your weekend!

:)

5fdprox likes this.
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It depends on how you do it. I prefer buying my phone outright and paying for the service month-to-month. That way, if I ever get fed up with one carrier, I'm free to move to another one (with GSM phones, at least).

If you're willing to get locked into a contract - even a Note 3 is only around $150. You pay the balance in the bill every month, but that's easier than coming up with $700 at once. If you go with a phone that's still a nice phone (as long as you don't take the 4.3 update, or are willing to argue them out of one that's been sitting in the store room for 6 months [get a new battery, though] and hasn't been updated) an S3 or S4 is still better than average, can be rooted in 2 minutes (plus the 15 minute download time - they must be shoving the bits down the line by hand, one at a time) and there are plenty of ROMs for them. (No complaints, you guys at Kingo - I always have the latest version on my laptop and the older ones backed up. I can root by hand, but clicking a button is easier.)

One note, though - why ROMs? If it's because there are features you want on a particular ROM, fine. But if it's just to have a ROM? Every phone has one - they come with the stock ROM. And you can customize them to where their own mothers wouldn't recognize them - with no custom ROM. (I don't think I've used the stock launcher in any phone since about an hour after I got my first Android.) One of the first ROMs I tried, and it's very popular, was Cyanogen. Nothing wrong with it, but I didn't see any advantage to it, so I flashed the stock ROM back.

I'm now running a Note 3, stock ROM, unrooted - but with the Nova launcher and wallpaper to match whatever. I only got rid of SantaDroid and the Christmas tree this past week. One decent wallpaper app, one good graphics program (I use Paint.net, but Photoshop is good too) and the phone can look different every day. It has enough storage that, if the function isn't in the ROM, I downloaded an app for it. Plug in a mouse and keyboard and I hve a pretty good pocket-sized laptop.

And if there isn't "an app for that" it either can't be done or I'm very surprised. Just in looking for other things I've come across apps that I never would have thought of writing, but someone did. There's even one that's VERY close to my favorite desktop programmer's editor.

Writing ROMS is great - some people have done what I - a programmer/analyst with 40 years experience in the trade - consider brilliant. But at the moment I have no particular use for any particular ROM, I don't really need any rooted program and my phone does everything I need. (It would have been better if Google had kept their fingers out of Navigation, but ...)

Bottom line, though, is that you can get a pretty top-of-the-line phone if you don't mind a contract and can afford the extra freight every month. You don't have to lay out $300 for a good phone.

If you want a good phone with no contract, look at Swappa They're used, but Swappa vets the people and the phones very carefully and I've seen VERY few complaints. (What I might call a scuff mark, you might call a scratch - things like that.) And you can quite often get a gently-used $500 phone for $300 or less. The only thing that wears out is the battery and, as long as the phone has a user-replaceable battery, you can usually get good ones for around $25, so it's not a deal breaker. And some of them come with screen protectors, cases and other little things you'd probably want to buy for a new phone, so you can knock another $100 off the effective price.

Lots and lots of different ways to go.

You wanted specific recommendations. A decade ago I would have said Motorola. Anything Motorola. Good build, good design, quality (except for the battery drain on the first Razr). My 11 or 12 year old V551 still works (so do the original batteries). When one of my Notes had to go back to Samsung, a 2 minute "please cut me a SIM" request put the 551 in service for the week. Today? Who knows? Google bought them, now Lenovo owns them. They may become one of the top innovators in the industry again, or they may start pushing out junk for profit. ( used to own a cellphone store. When I sold it, the entire Motorola stock came with me. I still have one brand new in the box Nextel that the customer never came back for.) And the StarTac 7868? Probably the best cellphone ever made.

My current choices are Google (when it stops using LG - I don't buy a phone I can't remove the battery from) and Samsung (despite the nonsense they've pulled over the past few months.) What will my next phone be? That's why I bought Note 3s. I won't have to make that decision for at least a few years. But if I had to buy one today, regardless of price range, it would probably be some kind of Samsung. They still make pretty good phones.

5fdprox and scary alien like this.
  4. 5fdprox

5fdprox Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2013
    Scary Alien thanks so much, i really really appreciate it! Rukbat that was a very enlightening post! Im a year or so into my love for anything Android and the information you gave is priceless! Having an Optimus elite after being able to root, change the setup of my phone different times having custom roms, seeing the while interface changed i was stoked about it i think just trying to find that awesome rom (aokp was my favorite) and put all the necessary apps and settings together to have a well oiled machine with badass capabilities (for a cheap phone) was amazing to me. Im going to be getting a phone thru that website and i cant thank you enough for taking time to open my eyes a little! Thanks again!!!

scary alien likes this.
  5. kaivorth

kaivorth Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2012
    Galaxy S2 and S3 have great Custom ROMs available. Nexus 4, and Moto G are good to look at as well.

Second thought, just get a Moto G and don't think twice. It's about $130 on Verizon or Boost Mobile. Has Kit Kat already.

scary alien likes this.