1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

AVG Mobilation cannot fix suspicious message

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jpaulmorr, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jpaulmorr

jpaulmorr Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    I made the mistake of opening a web site in an email from a relative in England. Now AVG Mobilation (Free) says there is a suspicious message, but the "fix" button doesn't remove it. I am guessing that it is sitting in my files somewhere, but have tried deleting everything I don't recognize and the message keeps showing up every time I do the scan! Help would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

2. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Well, if it were me and the phone was behaving normally, I think I'd get rid of AVG Mobilation. There aren't any true viruses for Android, most malware is easily avoided by exercising vigilance in what apps you install, and I don't see how a message of any kind could harm your phone ( I could be wrong, but I've never heard of anything like that that I can recall, at least in the absence of a malware app having previously been installed by someone with physical access to the phone). Perhaps the antivirus just thinks you got a scam or phishing message, or maybe it's a false alarm, or maybe it just doesn't work properly.

AngryHatter likes this.
  3. jpaulmorr

jpaulmorr Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    "I don't see how a message of any kind could harm your phone" - I agree with you, Wayrad, but I think my relative does have a virus or Trojan on his system, which sent out references to strange web sites. When I accessed the first one, it appears to have downloaded something, which I would like to get rid of! AVG Mobilation reports it as being in "Content" (as opposed to Apps, or Settings) - any idea how to get rid of it? e.g.. is it somewhere in MyFiles? TIA

4. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    I think a downloaded file would go to the download folder on your SD card, and could be seen with a file manager (Astro is free and good if you don't have one already). But it's very unlikely that any random dubious file you download from a web site will be targeted toward Android systems or can do anything to your phone, except sit there in the download folder. I'm not even sure if a malicious site could add a bookmark to or redirect an Android browser (I suppose it's possible, but it's unlikely anyone would bother) but you could always check that. Or maybe "Content" just refers to a message again. Could also be an image or audio file, I suppose; you could check what you have there. Hard to tell without knowing the exact symptoms - maybe someone else can make further suggestions.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    Since not one AV suite has EVER found an instance of malware before Google or the community at large, I'd call it a really false positive and uninstall AVG.

6. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Yeah, I'm inclined to think it'd be a heck of a coincidence if they hit a download link at the same time AVG gave an alert (although for all I know, maybe it does it at any download, just to create the impression of doing something!). And it's not like just visiting a website would do anything to the phone. These antivirus apps seem to cause a lot of fear and uncertainty.

But I can understand the OP wanting to know if they downloaded anything they didn't intend to have cluttering up their phone, if they have some reason other than a so-called antivirus app to think they might have.

7. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    accidental double post, sorry

8. jpaulmorr

jpaulmorr Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback, guys. I am embarrassed - AVG Mobilation said "suspicious message", and I kept thinking emails. Actually, the file causing the problem landed up in the messages folder, and it was even marked "suspicious" in red!!! Deleting that gave me a clean scan. So, yes, I totally agree that it could not have caused any problems, but there was indeed something there, and it is now gone! So it looks like AVG Mobilation has some use - and I believe it is just a matter of time before the hackers start targeting smartphones... :) Thanks again!

9. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    They already have; however AV for a sandbox is useless.