• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help .AVI not supported

The AVI file format is probably supported, it's likely the file was encoded with a CODEC that isn't.

You'll need to make sure to use something supported like H.264, MPEG4, XVID, DIVX, etc.

I'd highly recommend Handbrake for making mobile copies of your video media.

HandBrake

I too want to watch films on my Galaxy copied from DVDs I have. The programme I was looking at is from Slysoft which copies directly from a DVD to the following formats; DivX, XviD, AVI, MP4

Which format would you say is best used for the Galaxy please?

Regards,

Peter

Upvote 0
I too want to watch films on my Galaxy copied from DVDs I have. The programme I was looking at is from Slysoft which copies directly from a DVD to the following formats; DivX, XviD, AVI, MP4

Regards,

Peter

Hi,

Just copy the file and it should work. I got this message when copying but it worked fine. I use slysoft. I use the files on my PS3 so they are all Divx at the higest resolution. Files size is a bit bigger but no probs and I dont have to re-encode all my dvd's. One of the reasons I brought this phone as it supports so many codecs out of the box. Switched from a HTC desire and very happy with the phone!

Upvote 0
AVI is just a container, the sound and video formats can be completely different across different AVI files.

So basically we need more information on the avi file you are trying to play, you could use GSpot to check what codecs are used.

media info is also a great prog for checking codecs as well as seeing other various info for a file.

Upvote 0

Regards,

Peter

What I do is first extract the DVD contents using DVDDecrypter, that also removes any copy protection. Then I run Handbrake on the extracted files which creates a MPEG container using the (outstanding) H.264 CODEC.

This results in a "movie only" file that's usually around 700-800MB and perfect for a phone. Simply copy them over (USB, FTP, etc.) and you're good to go. FWIW, recently I've been using Mobo Video for something different, but my default player in my current ROM (Twingerbread) works terrific too.

DVD Decrypter

HandBrake

Another option which is a single pass solution is DVD Shrink. It "rips" and re-encodes, and it has some nice options for what's included in the rip (i.e., menus, alternate audio, subs, etc.)

dvdshrink.org: FREE Backup Solution for your DVD movies!

I generally use H.264 for most re-encoding that I do.

Upvote 0
just tried transferring some videos from desktop but says file type not supported??

also where can i install driver?

You can go through the trouble of converting your files to a supported codec like these guys recommend. (which is your like me that could take hours)

OR you can get Rockplayer.

rockplayer is close to VLC.

I have not found a .AVI file that does not play on it.

The only files I ran into issue were with some .MKVs and .OGM (i only have one series which uses .OGM)

Hopefully VLC will be released for Android for both streaming to the phone and on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones