• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avoiding duplicate contacts with gmail & microsoft exchange...

snvyas

Mar 22, 2010
Hi all,

I have gmail set up on my Nexus One (personal email). I also have microsoft exchange setup (work email) and both work fine. The problem is that under my contacts there are duplicate entries both for gmail and microsoft exchange. That is causing some problems with my SMS app (duplicate contacts) and wanted to see how I could avoid syncing microsoft exchange and delete it from my contact but still keep it on my phone.

I have already unchecked the box to not sync my contacts but did that after adding it.

thanks!

I have personal contacts in my Gmail account and work contacts in my exchange account. Both sync to my phone contact list. Each contact has an indication in the top right as to which account they sync with. When composing an email from either my Gmail or Exchange account, I have the ability to pull from the phone list.

Upvote 0
I have been using a MDA Compaq V for the past 2yrs which when I plugged into my laptop sync'd with Microsoft ActiveSync. When this happened I could choose on my computer what folders/emails etc sync'd. I now have a HTC DESIRE S and I'm having serious issues. FIRSTLY all I have sync'd to my phone is a MS Outlook Email/Contacts & Calendar as it is purely a work phone, yet I get duplicate contacts in my 'people' list. I keep getting asked to link my MS Exchange contacts to 'MyPhoneBook' contacts how do I stop this? If I link them then they double everything up within the contact alternatively I don't link and they double up in my 'people' list... HELP

SECONDLY why can contacts only be stored on 'John Smith' or 'Smith John' format? I deal with a lot of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi customers so I have a lot of Ali/Naresh/Ahmed/Ahmad/Khan/Patel etc etc contacts so on my MS Outlook contacts they are saved Joe Bloggs Drycleaners (Ali) so that when my phone rings I know which Ali etc I am talking to yet I can't see how to do it without going through all 750+ contacts on my address book

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones