• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avoiding tethering detection on unlimited plan

rockydog

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
I have an older unlimited data plan with Alltel (Verizon). After rooting my Galaxy Nexus it supports tethering, but should I still use PdaNet instead?

I've read that PdaNet will change the request headers to make it look like all traffic is mobile traffic, where I'm not sure if using the stock tethering will reveal that my traffic is being generated from a non-mobile device.

If you're requesting a download of a Windows app, it won't matter what the request headers read, they'll kind of guess that you're using a Windows computer with modified headers. (Firefox has allowed you to use custom headers for a long time, and that never fools them for long.)

But try it if you want. All you have to lose is your unlimited plan.

Upvote 0
If you know how to properly use putty and ssh, you can encrypt your connection so that the carrier can't see what traffic is being passed through, but they will still be able to see that data is passing through your connection. I'm not sure if they will be able to see the other device connected and using data (though they can't see what is passing through) or if they will just see that you are consuming more data. Either way, it's still a risk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones