• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Awaiting Desire

Dazza

Oct 27, 2010
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum so i hope my initial post doesn't annoy.

I'm on a waiting list with Orange UK to get a Desire. I've done a bit of reading up on the phone but just wanted to ask a couple of quick and, hopefully, straight forward questions.

I'm coming from a blackberry 8900 which has served me well and syncs very easily with my Outlook 2003 calendar, all my email including yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc and my home wireless network. My question is, will the Desire sync with these things as easily?

From what I've gathered so far the only thing I'll miss about the BB will be the battery life. Is there anything else you think I'll lose?

D

I know I'll probably miss the keyboard but to be honest, I find any keyboard smaller than a desktop one to be awkward.

What I meant about email and such was, is it as simple as going to a "set up email" then putting in your user name and p/w and away you go?

I'd much prefer to leave Outlook as my calendar if possible.

Upvote 0
Why on earth not?
Google calendar is one of the things that, in the last 18 months or so, has significantly made my life easier.
Many people don't like having their life online. If the account or google database gets hacked, their whole life is exposed. I have a couple of GMail accounts, but none of my mail is left on the google servers, it's all downloaded to my home computer and saved there. I don't use Google for any kind of data storage, and I don't have any other kind of online storage. My computers at home are secure and very reliable (RAID systems and regular backups, and excellent virus scanner along with solid NAT routing).

Upvote 0
Many people don't like having their life online. If the account or google database gets hacked, their whole life is exposed. I have a couple of GMail accounts, but none of my mail is left on the google servers, it's all downloaded to my home computer and saved there. I don't use Google for any kind of data storage, and I don't have any other kind of online storage. My computers at home are secure and very reliable (RAID systems and regular backups, and excellent virus scanner along with solid NAT routing).

Yikes. My entire life is online. Well, not literally. That would be a bit Tron.

Upvote 0

This is exactly why. I try and restrict how much info I put online. Obviously there is a lot already online and you can't really avoid that. However having my day to day movements stored online is one step beyond for me.
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Upvote 0
This is exactly why. I try and restrict how much info I put online. Obviously there is a lot already online and you can't really avoid that. However having my day to day movements stored online is one step beyond for me.
Thanks for all the responses guys.
Note that in order to use the Market you need a GMail account. You don't have to use it, but you need an account to access the Market and remember who you are when you buy apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones