1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Awe come on not music player reads external SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by earthdog, Mar 9, 2011.

1. earthdog

earthdog Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    So here I go sync my music with Double Twist to my ext SD CARD and all is good. Except Double Twist doesn't see it. So I download Power Amp and it does not see music on the external SD Card either.

I am being told this is another Android deficiency. The crappy Motorola Music app works to read from the SD Card but not the premier apps. What the Heck!!!!

Everytime I think I have resolved the last Android hurdle another one pops up. Anyone have a solution I'm getting frustrated everytime I turn around I seem to find this OS is not quite there... excuse my rant but I don't want to return my Atrix for my Iphone 4. I almost have it perfect but COME ON!!!!!!

Got another thing to add to the rant... So what is the point if I can add a 32gb SD Card? I mean you clearly cant use it for music or video's from other sources than the Atrix... I am hoping someone has a solution to make me feel like a real dumb a#%....

Advertisement

2. brawndo

brawndo Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I downloaded real player and it reads off the SD card just fine :thinking:

3. earthdog

earthdog Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    This came in from DoubleTwist and at least answers my issue:

All,
    I want to take a moment to explain the issues involved in supporting the dual memory phones and why it is taking us a while to get a release out. To start, Android phones do support external memory, usually via an SD card slot. However, the Samsung Galaxy S series phones (Vibrant, Captivate, Epic, etc), the HTC Incredible and the newly released Motorola Atrix all include two memory devices: an SD card and internal memory that is physically attached to the motherboard of the device. When you mount these devices on your computer, you will actually see two different memory locations.

The Android OS has an API for accessing the external memory but there is no API for accessing multiple memory locations. The hardware OEMs have made this work by altering the Android source code to allow both memory devices to be accessed. This is expected as Android is an open-source OS and is freely available to be modified. However, every manufacturer alters the OS in a different way and usually doesn't document how to access the internal storage. For us to add support for internal memory requires us to first purchase every phone that we know exhibits this behavior, figure out how the OEM altered the OS, and code a solution for that device. Complicating this further, we have a desktop application for managing media on your phone. Many of our support questions are from customers asking why their device shows up twice, once for each memory device.

Google itself is attempting to address this issue in the latest Android OS release, 3.0 Honeycomb. In 3.0 and later, USB mounting is disabled and only Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is supported. This is an attempt to force the OEMs to either stop shipping multiple storage devices or to present them as a single unified device to the desktop. This still doesn't fix the issue with lack of API support on Android however.

Rest assured, we are working hard on a solution to this problem that is both user friendly and will be designed to support future devices that also ship with dual memory.

My SI is Bluer likes this.
  4. My SI is Bluer

None

Feb 18, 2011
    NY
    I have similar issues with this. It is highly annoying!