• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Awesome Best Buy deal for Note 4 Upgrade

drexappeal

Extreme Android User
Apr 8, 2010
West LA, CA
Had to share this cuz it's a pretty darn good deal.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 128435 - Best Buy

Pre-Order Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Today
Get a $200 Best Buy gift card at time of purchase with trade in of any working smartphone.

Only thing that's confusing is the bolded part below:

Valid 9/19/14-10/16/14. Order online or in store varies by carrier. Valid on purchase of Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. Taxes/surcharges due at time of purchase. Taxes applied to price of phone prior to the gift card credit. Not all phones are eligible for trade-in and trade-in value may vary. Excludes phones that are cracked, water-damaged or that lack power. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. Not compatible with other trade-in offers. No rainchecks. See BestBuy.com/TradeIn for full details.
*Online pre-orders must choose "Store Pickup" to qualify for trade-in offer.

What's confusing is, it says that you can get a $200 gift card for any working smartphone, but then it says in the details that not all phones are eligible for trade-in and trade-in value may vary? It would make more sense to me if it said, "receive a gift card up to $200," but it doesn't state that. I might stop by a Best Buy tonight, to see about the details.

I have Photon Q backup phone that works perfectly. If I can get a $200 gift card for that, plus the $50 upgrade, I'd actually consider getting a Note 4 (not for any particular reason, except for getting such a great deal).

there is no real need for it tmo is still doing 0 down and more then likely will be for a while so if you want the note 4 go into tmo and just pay the tax and you walk out with a new phone

...... But at full price that would be $800 over term, counting tax. Kind of like "check into cash". Short term benefit, long term loss.

Presuming I understand the conditions you refer to of course.

Upvote 0
...... But at full price that would be $800 over term, counting tax. Kind of like "check into cash". Short term benefit, long term loss.

Presuming I understand the conditions you refer to of course.

yeah it is but for a phone-o-holic and being a broke college student financing a phone works out for me I can always get top of the line and not have to shell out 300+ $ all at once and then keep paying for it for two years I would just rather pay for two years and save the down payment

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy Note 4- BestBuy

Went into a Best Buy and verified all the details just to be sure there's no requirements on trade in value or other stuff, my old moto droid qualifies and there's no mysterious amount of people that can use this before it disappears.

@ $99 for the upgrade after the gift card, it's definitely worth pulling the trigger.

My only question is, there seems to be a difference in the drops/water/extended manufacturers insurance offered through VZW and Best Buy. I'm guessing Best Buy's $ 7.99 deal is the same as the VZW $ 8 assurion deal?

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy Note 4- BestBuy

Went into a Best Buy and verified all the details just to be sure there's no requirements on trade in value or other stuff, my old moto droid qualifies and there's no mysterious amount of people that can use this before it disappears.

@ $99 for the upgrade after the gift card, it's definitely worth pulling the trigger.

My only question is, there seems to be a difference in the drops/water/extended manufacturers insurance offered through VZW and Best Buy. I'm guessing Best Buy's $ 7.99 deal is the same as the VZW $ 8 assurion deal?

Best Buy's geek squad protection used to be the best deal available for protection, covering everything except lost/stolen phones with no deductible. That all changed last year, when they changed it to a limit of 3 replacements with a $150 deductible and still doesn't cover lost or stolen phones.

Not sure if Verizon covers lost or stolen under Asurion, but that would likely be the main difference, if any.

I recently bought a 2 year plan from squaretrade that is only a $35 deductible and averages out to $6 per month. Doesn't cover lost or stolen phones, but perfect for my needs with the g3 I have to my mother. There are a few other programs I am considering in the future that seem very good as well.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it s too early in the morning for me, though I just read the terms, and I see nothing about full retail price. Can I trade in my old Incredible and get $200 toward buying the N4 at full retail? I guess they'd say it's not worth $200, but does this program even apply for full retail?

Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind, for those that were planning on using the $200 Best Buy trade-in deal, to purchase the Note 4 off contract (at full retail). In the past, Best Buy has had the habit of bumping up the full retail value of the phones, as compared to the provider.

I remember the Note 2 being somewhere around $549 retail or $599, but at Best Buy, it was more expensive by at least $100 (maybe $150).

That said, I have heard people have been able to get a "price match" from Best Buy for the retail price selling at the provider. It would definitely be worthwhile with a price match, but if Best Buy follows their habit of bumping up the retail price (as compared to the providers), then the $200 trade-in becomes moot.

Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind, for those that were planning on using the $200 Best Buy trade-in deal, to purchase the Note 4 off contract (at full retail). In the past, Best Buy has had the habit of bumping up the full retail value of the phones, as compared to the provider.

I remember the Note 2 being somewhere around $549 retail or $599, but at Best Buy, it was more expensive by at least $100 (maybe $150).

That said, I have heard people have been able to get a "price match" from Best Buy for the retail price selling at the provider. It would definitely be worthwhile with a price match, but if Best Buy follows their habit of bumping up the retail price (as compared to the providers), then the $200 trade-in becomes moot.
Does the price matching only work if you are buying full retail? You know that taxes are based off full retail? So if I can get them to price match with Sprint's price, then I would pay less taxes.

Upvote 0
Does the price matching only work if you are buying full retail? You know that taxes are based off full retail? So if I can get them to price match with Sprint's price, then I would pay less taxes.

Yes. I've upgraded several phones through them in the past and have asked if they can price match the full retail price (to lower the tax amount), when buying on a subsidized upgrade, and they've never been able to do that. That's just my experience though. Ends up being worth it though (even with the higher tax amount) because I'd typically have several Best Buy gift cards to use, which would ends up costing me much less out of pocket.

Upvote 0
Just got back from Best Buy and they told me they will let me buy at full retail, though they didn't know what the price was, though they would price match other stores, and I could get $200 for my old working Droid....
Based on Best Buy polling in threads and five most local Best Buys the answer varies:

1. Contract only
2. Off contract is ok
3. We do not know yet, but think contract only, based on how our POS is set up for it.

The key point being their POS system is the deciding factor. If POS is set up for contract only (it currently is) not even a regional manager can override this. Ask a manager if they would even try to overrride. Instant corporate audit flag, but no way in the system to actually change it.

This seems officially the most fooked up, poorly communicated offer I have seen. I fully expect the outcome of this offer to not reflect well at all on Samsung. Even one of their biggest channel partners (BB) do not know concisely what is going on.

Upvote 0
Its only a good deal if:

1. They dont make you buy "off contract" at full retail.

2. They let you trade in an old phone, thats not activated. I am not going to get a $200 BB gift card for my Note 3, when they are getting at least $350 on EBay.

1) why would they force people to buy off contract? If anything, they would benefit more from the commission made on contract extensions.

2) Someone had already gone in and confirmed that it is any working smartphone. And I agree that a Note 3 could be sold for more elsewhere, but any other smartphone that is working and 2 years old, it is a really good deal. Would be an even better deal if it is just the phone and charger isn't required, but not sure that had been confirmed yet.

Upvote 0
Okay. I think I got the definitive answer. There was a Samsung rep in the BB and a BB manager at lunch today there too. The Samsung rep confirmed with their regional sales office as well.

The offer is for contract purchases only and NOT for off contract. The $200 card is only authorized with a contract transaction with a carrier. No contract, no $200 card. The Best Buy manager also said they can apply the $200 card to the purchase and showed me the process. On contract, the phone will be $100- after the applied gift card. This is on the spot and no delay.

I have a phone line with data that has an upgrade still. I might use that, since BB mobile said they can apply to the line and then swap my SIM into it. I do know I am out of luck (as others) for getting $200 off for full price.

Added:

Note 4 is nice, BTW.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones