1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Awesome Reset Loop

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MolniyaTHM, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MolniyaTHM

MolniyaTHM Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    So when I turn my phone on, it vibrates and gives me the white HTC EVO 4G screen (stays on this screen for at least 30 sec), and then it continues with the yellow sprint screen that materializes into the grey screen with 4G in yellow. The phone will freeze at this point and start the whole process over again.

In order to get my phone to boot at all I have to perform the following procedure:
    Remove and replace battery
    Press the Vol Down button and hold while pressing the Power button
    Select "Restore" from the menu (At this point I will get the white HTC EVO 4G screen again, and then a screen with two phones and a green arrow. THEN I get the phone with a red exclamation point next to it and nothing else happens. This happens every time.)
    Remove and replace the battery again
    Power on phone

This will ALMOST always get me a normal boot and then the phone will operate fairly normally.

Other issues that may be contributing to my phone being a jerk are as follows:

Phone does not seem to be able to accurately track battery life. I will charge the phone for 12 hours at night, wake up and unplug it. The phone at this point is showing full battery life. I start an app and it will die. When I perform the procedure above to get a normal boot, the phone will read that there is 5% battery life remaining. Sometimes when I plug the phone in and it is very low in battery life, the power bar will show a lightning bolt but will not show any animation at all. Sometimes it does show the proper animation for charging...not sure what causes this either.

I do NOT use a task killer app, I used to use Juice Defender, but I don't use that anymore either. At some point I did a complete factory restore on the phone and wiped the SD card and all. This worked for about a week and then the phone went back into it's routine of being a jerk.

The phone is NOT rooted nor have I ever tried to root it. The only modification I have made is to add a 32g SD card. Also of note...I used my wife's battery from her EVO in my phone and got the exact same results as with my battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please let me know if you need any further information. I did try going to Sprint, they were about as much help as handing the phone to my new puppy.

Advertisement

2. funky_muzic

funky_muzic Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    My wife and I have been having the same problem with our EVO 4Gs. I've done quite a bit of research on this issue, and it seems that it is just a hardware problem. HTC has some sort of flaw with their phones and they haven't actually figured out what is causing it. I've even heard that some of the EVO 3Ds are having the problem.

I wish I could be of more help, but all I can say is that my next phone will not be an HTC.

3. MolniyaTHM

MolniyaTHM Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Yeah, I haven't found any kind of fix on the web, which is why I'm posting here. I actually love the phone and when it's working properly, it is great. I've had the phone since the day it came out and this is the first issue I've ever had with it. I'm not sure that I believe it is a hardware issue...where did you hear that? My first guess was the battery, but since my wife's battery gave me the same results, I'm leaning more toward a software issue. If it IS a hardware issue, the phone is insured and I'll go pay a 100 dollar deductible and get a new one. Unless, of course, there are any experts on here that can help...

4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    I've read your problem and while I am uncertain if its a hardware issue or a software issue I can say that it's going to be very hard to tell with it being stock. Rooting would be my recommendation and flashing over to a new ROM/Kernel combo. I am thinking its a kernel issue. You can read the procedure in my sig (Rooting for dummies) However that is only my opinion. I personally do not regret rooting my phone.

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    one thing you can do is try and do a factory reset. this will delete all data so backup accordingly. i would go into bootloader by powering off (make sure that fastboot is unchecked. settings/apps/incheck fastboot). in bootloader select clear storage. and then it will ask you about wiping user data. click yes and then it should reboot. if this does not fix this then i would take the phone into sprint and see what they say.

6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    another post on same exact issue

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...76476-does-your-evo-have-rebooting-curse.html

one stated that the factory reset was done and within two days it was back to this issue. I figured if this is the case no need to wipe without going through the process of Rooting. My thinking is that this is a kernel issue. Had it been a hardware issue I think we would see the dreaded "BLOD"

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. funky_muzic

funky_muzic Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    During my online research, I found a number of people that had returned the EVO 4G over and over and continually had the same rebooting problem. While I love the EVO too (when it's working), I would not pay a $100 deductible to get the same crappy phone back that will probably have the same issue.

I still think it is a hardware issue. Granted some say it is a battery issue, some say it is certain apps that cause this, and now I've heard it could be the (stock) Kernel. People have changed out the batteries and had the same problem. People had only the stock apps on the phone and had the same problem. In regards to the Kernel, I had rooted my phone and tried out a variety of ROMs and Kernels (including Tiamat and Golden Monkey) but my phone still had those problems.

I have decided that I will just deal with it until I can upgrade in August. The phone still works, and it generally only restarts if I'm playing a game for a while, running multiple apps, using the navigation, or doing something else that I know is putting a burden on the CPU. I've found that I just can't do THAT much with my phone. I shut it down at night and sometimes periodically throughout the day when I'm not using it. I also don't have a bunch of games on my phone since I can't play them for very long. By "taking it easy" on my phone, it is still reliable to use for calling, texting, checking email, searching the internet and more. Of course, I'm not happy that I'm limited like this, and that's why I'm not getting another HTC phone AND I will be doing considerable research before I upgrade to another smart phone.

8. MolniyaTHM

MolniyaTHM Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    I took this phone to Sprint and the tech immediately ran a test on the battery. He said that the battery tested the lowest it could possibly test and still register...meaning it was shot. I was skeptical, but there is a 14 day return policy on batteries, so I bought the extended life battery for 55 bucks. It gives my EVO a ghetto butt, but it solved all the issues the phone was having.

Not only that, but now the battery lasts for 2 full days without needing to be charged. If you can stand the ghetto butt on your phone, I highly recommend this upgrade.

ocnbrze likes this.
Tags: