1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Awful Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidfan1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. droidfan1

droidfan1 Android Enthusiast

I'm getting 8hours.

This is with:

Wi-fi, NFC, 4G, always off.

GPS/Bluetooth always off.

Screen dim as possible.

I'm doing moderate use - no video games, lot of texting / music playing.

I'm also using the 2100 mhz battery. Why is it dying so fast? Can anyone explain?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

are you in a good 3G coverage area?

also how are you playing music? Streaming it through google Music?

3. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

Did you just get the phone? Give it some a few charge ups. So you don't use any data of any kind at all? Or just 3G? Your cell signal is important how strong/weak is it?

4. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

Please post your exact screen on time.

5. droidfan1

6. droidfan1

Yes, and not streaming it.

I have, at least 5 100% to 0% and back, at least 5 times.. I use 3G, and my signal is constantly 3-4 bars.

Think I did ^

7. jbdan

Awake a lot. If you tap your screen (which says 38%) how many hours/minutes was it on in that period?

You say moderate use, but we all have different meanings of "moderate use" :p

From the graph, if those awake times correspond to you using the phone, than I'd consider that heavy use. A lot of "ifs" there though

My signal (at home) is yellow across the board. Wished I had your signal (green) at my home :)

8. droidfan1

Not sure, didn't take a screenshot of it and I just fully charged it. I text people a ton, probably a ton. I basically turn it on, text, and turn it off. Continue to do that + change songs, etc. That's heavy use?

9. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert

I have nothing to contribute beyond, don't we go thru this with every new phone release? I've always noticed after 1-3 months of using any Android phone that battery life gets better.

Outatime and jbdan like this.
  10. sperho

You need to touch the 'screen' bar where it says 38% to get to the exact screen on time. Can you post up when you find it?

jbdan likes this.
  11. droidfan1

We'll see then lol. Hopefully it does.

12. droidfan1

Android OS is now > Screen. What is so heavy from the OS?

13. sperho

From my usage patterns, background syncs for messaging of nearly any sort induce awake time. Also, media streaming - i.e. podcast players, music, etc. Others are working on determining how 3G/4G/wifi signal hunting affect OS time...

14. droidfan1

Turned off background sync for facebook/google account (contacts, etc)

Hopefully I see a big increase in battery life. As I have said, no wifi gps bluetooth 4g nfc, anything! I'm using Axiom 2.1

15. droidfan1

Wow, this is horrible 1 hour 100% to 80%. Just awful... Hopefully it improves.

16. droidfan1

Is there an actual problem with my phone? Is it the rom? The sync?

17. jbdan

So you're getting this bad battery life on axiom...you didn't say that. How was it before you rooted and flashed axiom?

18. droidfan1

Similar. It was never great, I'll say that. Do you think it's my kernel / axiom?

19. jbdan

Possibly. You really need to give it some time it's difficult to say anything until you've given the rom/kernel combo a chance. How long have you been on axiom is it the latest version?

20. droidfan1

Been on 2.1 since it released, pretty much as soon as. Since then, I've charged / discharged many times, I do it fully. Maybe the kernel sucks?

21. jbdan

Its imoseyon kernel they don't suck at all they are excellent in my experience. At this point I'd start over with a wipe and a fresh flash so you can track it and narrow it down as to what is causing abnormal battery drain.

22. droidfan1

On cpu overclock, 1200 mhz, 350mhz.

Should I use hotplug, interactive, or ondemand? And imoseyon tweaks owned on my bionic/x can't remember which, but it greatly improved battery life.

23. droidfan1

24. droidfan1

After turning off facebook sync, and gmail sync etc, + changing interactive to hotplug, I noticed so far the battery life is improving somewhat. This is 5 minutes of testing. I'll keep testing.

25. sperho

On demand worked best for my Droid.

Get a good baseline one something. Then, and only then, change, if you are trying to optimize battery life... It would take several days of normal usage for me to make a judgement call on what a particular mod was doing to my phone...

5 minutes?! (see above comment) My battery takes that long to bump back up in voltage after heavy use in that amount of time... Yes, keep testing.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews