1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support [B]Motorola Droidas a paperweight only?[/B]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theburrus1, Oct 26, 2011.

1. theburrus1

theburrus1 Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Unemployed professionally, but full-time student
    Moorhead, MN
    Hi. I have a question for anyone who might have even remotely any suggestions about this. I have a Verizon contract account. Well, a month or so ago I sold the phone (Motorola Citrus) both for cash and because it is the worst Android phone there is. I did this knowing I would be buying a better Android phone soon at the Retail price if not cheaper in some online market. Fast forward to two days ago I see "Droid X - $150 like new, with 4 GB memory card..." on Craigslist. Now me not having any phone had to use Google Voice to text the seller about the phone and at that price, I got antsy. So I met the girl face to face, looked the phone over and asked to whatever degree of sincerity if it would indeed be able to be activated (freed from her account) and she said yes. So I bought the phone. Then I went to the Verizon store and the rep confirmed my inner fears, she still had not released it from her account and until she does, the phone is a paperweight. I went home ticked off and texted her twice pleading to call Verizon and have it removed but I know she avoided the matter. So I did the thing I set out planning to do and bought me a brand new Droid 3 at Retail costs. So my question is here, is that other Droid truly just a paperweight or has anyone heard of anything that can be done to get around this ESN issue to free the phone up? Heck, does anyone think I can install Linux on it and use it as a computer of sorts and just forget the phone part itself? If anyone has any ideas, please pass them along. Yes, I know in hindsight what I should have done so please spare me the scolding but if someone's heard of someone doing something to bypass this simple but problematic issue, please forward it to me. I love my Droid 3 now but I don't want to put this phone on Ebay or something and try to pass the problem to someone else. I will eat the losses but I'm just trying to make or do something to utilize that phone. It's not just a phone but a computer too so something must be able to be done with it. Or am I wrong? Thanks! :)

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    With the bootloader your options are limited but you should check out the all things root section for the Droid X to see what it will take to root and rom it. You can then be running a custom rom and use it as a MID at least

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/

Or just use it as an MID as is

3. theburrus1

theburrus1 Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Unemployed professionally, but full-time student
    Moorhead, MN
    Right on! Thanks a lot for the excellent suggestion!!! That's a great place to start. Appreciate it much! :)

P.s. Anymore ideas or suggestions, please send. I'm wondering if XDA Developers forums may know any more too?

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    As far as I know you are just screwed. Verizon isn't going to let that phone get activated. So you have 2 options:

1. Keep it and use it as a wifi only device for music, movies, games, etc

2. Sell it on eBay. List it as "for parts only" or something and specify that it can not be activated. I have had a couple Verizon phones I had to sell like that for various reasons and I was actually surprised how much I got for the phones that way.

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I'm sure there is plenty of how to root info at xda as well as rom info for the DX. But I have to agree with Chris no matter what it will not be activated on VZW and with the motor bootloader I don't know if it could be flashed to cricket