1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Back button and open applications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CXXV, Feb 7, 2010.

1. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I was under the impression that the "back button" closes applications.

Apparently this is not true. I always use the "bb" however, I've checked and found that many apps were still open.

For instance: I open messages. Don't actually create one. Press "bb". Check apps and find that it is still running. So what is happening is that after a while there are a bunch of apps still running in the background.

Is there a way to force close? What is the proper way to close an application then?

Advertisement

2. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    ND
    What are you using to check which apps are running? A long click on the home key brings up recent apps, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're running.

3. cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    LI
    Try an experiment and you will no longer question yourself:

First, make sure you have Astro file manager on your phone. Then the first time, open your web browser and browse around and hit the home key. Go into Astro -> Processes and see what the CPU is (who cares about the memory, the CPU is what will slow the phone down). When I did this, my browser was using 56% of the CPU.

Now go back to the browser, browse around and hit the back button to get out (or open a new window, close the window you were using and then back out). Now open Astro and see what your CPU is at. Mine is at 0% when I do that.

Hope this helps.