• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Back button stopped working? This helped me

Rafael

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
The back button quit working, most of the time. I had this problem yesterday, my first day with the new tablet..... and found a cure.....it works for me anyway.
Do not allow Google Keyboard to update to version 2.0.19133.927933a.
Version 2.0.19003.937116a works fine.

Details of discovery below.

I purchased my Nexus 7 on March 15th and it booted with 4.3....had it rooted before I allowed the 4.4.2 system update to apply.
I always turn off automatic app updates when I get a new device....this helped me find the problem.
I then applied the system update and it was still working well. Had to re-root, of course.
I had made TWRP backups before and after the system update, so I was in good shape.
Next I started removing apps I did not want, then went on to update apps I was keeping.
Next thing you know...the back button stops working for most operations.

After it aggrivated me enough, I restored the post-4.4.2 update backup and the back button worked fine.
I started working my way back to my goal-config and it kept working until my last step......updating the keyboard. Then it failed.
I removed the update and after a reboot the back button works fine. Did this twice to verify the fix.

Hope it helps others!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones