• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Back getting HOT.

My Rez gets pretty warm while streaming video as well. I would not call it hot however. You have to understand the phone is working hard when uncompress a video and displaying it. Others might chime in here too. I don't know how hot is hot.
There has to be a point when the device becomes so hot that there could be damage to the phone. My phone falls below anything I would consider dangerous to the device.

Upvote 0
If you have your Rezound in a case, I advise taking it out of the case when under heavy use. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend removing the back case or else your phone will lose signal faster than a Nexus....but just barely....
th_Smiley-hiding-behind-couch.gif

Upvote 0
If you have the screen brightness turned all the way up you might want to turn it down some will help.
Because of the curvature of the back of the phone and how it rests perfect putting the weight in the center of your palm where your most sensitive makes it seem hotter than other 4g phones when its not.

I went through hours of agonizing research to gain these hot palm results.
PS. After turning screen brightness up for sex scenes don't forget to turn brightness back down afterwards!:D

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Not to state the obvious but we all tend to forget that these things are not phones they are a combination of computer, high frequency radios, storage arrays and high def monitor screens, they will act and react like computers and radios and screens, all of which get warm when they are working.

My phone also gets warm, sometimes very warm when I am doing heavy processing, but that is not the same as HOT. The phone has a dual core and so when streaming or using applications that put heavy processing demands on the chip it will get warm. If you have a case this can keep some of the heat in as well, the verizon vinyl cases are especially good at this.

Upvote 0
I know this has been reported. Does this happen on all phones or is it a defect and I should exchange mine?

Happens when streaming video with the standard battery and with any 4G use with the extended battery.

As was pointed out, streaming video puts stress on any phone, so it'll probably get warm. If it gets hot from 4G use, maybe it's a poor connection and the phone's struggling to maintain the connection (not normal). Does it do the same under WiFi or when forced down to 3G/CDMA mode?

There has to be a point when the device becomes so hot that there could be damage to the phone.

I doubt that's possible unless you're running some custom kernel that's disabled the built-in throttling mechanism. Modern phones automatically underclock themselves (and turn off unused cores) as needed, so I'd expect them to do the same (possibly losing video frames as a result) to prevent overheating damage.

If you have a case this can keep some of the heat in as well, the verizon vinyl cases are especially good at this.

That's a bad thing, not a good thing. Better the waste heat should be allowed to dissipate than be bottled up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones