1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Back in the saddle again?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ajdroidx, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    Male
    Colorado
    (This post is a bit of thinking out loud, sometimes its better to spell things out to help come to a decision :))

Been a bit since I have visited the forums, guess I needed a break from things. Well, we (the household) are starting to get prepared to restructure things, ditch the contracts, possibly ditch AT&T and go a different way.

A while back I had a nexus 5 (was the first wave of orders) and I ended up shattering the screen on it (I know, Im a dunce) and been back to using my note II.

The N5 had a few annoyances for me, namely the volume, I could not hear notifications and as a result missed them and being in a poor reception area, my battery was drained rather fast too, sometimes barely making it through the work shift.

After a while with out the thing, I am thinking about picking up another one (As well as a case!!!) or possibly a developer edition Moto X for a bit more.

The issues I am having with the Moto X is I need to go through moto to unlock the bootloader and likely will need to do so with a windows machine (yuk). The N5 could be easily modded with my MBP.

A nexus 5 will allow me to swap no problem between the note II (should I need to) since it has a standard micro sim card and not that blasted nano one

The nexus 5 I think supports more bands

But the moto x should have better build quality and perhaps slightly better battery and could be louder as well. But it would be a bit more of a issue swapping devices since it uses a "Non Standard" nano sim card.

So, I guess it comes down to a few minor issues (nexus 5) vs a few round abouts (moto x)

Thoughts?

Should I try the N5 once again? I guess if it don't work well I could pass it to my sister.

Advertisement

2. Ranhead

Ranhead Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 23, 2012
    Jersey
    We since this is the N5 forum, I would suspect there will be a lot of voices who are all for it...... So i'll start. :D

The sound was improved considerable with the 4.2.2 update, and there has been an actual hardware update to address the sound also. I still have the original hardware with the update, and I have to keep the sound turned down indoors.
    My battery life is great!!! Way better then my HTC 3D. Granted I am a light user but I charge every other day. Here are some screenshots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the record, I am on the stock ROM running Franco's kernal and Greenify.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    Male
    Colorado
    Ordered the white 32gb version.
    Hope I don't break this one...

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Male
    IT
    just south of Los Angeles, CA, USA
    You may want to consider getting a heavy duty case. Otterbox doesn't make one for the N5 (yet?) but there are some similar ones out there.

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    I really like my Spigen Neo Hybrid... Actually bought two.

Throwing a screen protector on couldn't hurt either. :p

6. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    I've been relatively quite on the Forums for a little while now, and its partly because I've been pretty busy as well as really Happy with my Blacked out Nexus 5. Honestly its just kept me really happy for the past few months and I haven't any real major issues, I'd recommend it to anyone in the market for an Android phone at the moment.

I've settled very happily into using the Official Black Bumper case from the play store and while it makes it a tab bulkier I really love it. The phone is protected, its recognizable as a nexus because of the branding, and it looks super stealthy...lol!

I also have the light gray bumper case but mostly use the Black because the gray gets dirty really easily from wearing jeans...but the cases as a whole are top notch IMO.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. Stealthman

Stealthman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    I have the black bumper case as well and I really, really like it. ^^^^

8. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    [​IMG]

I don't use a case often, but when I do... It's the black Nexus 5 Bumper Case from the Play Store. ;)

9. Wrend

Wrend Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    Male
    Private IT Field
    Northern Illinois, USA
    I picked up the gray case. It should be arriving Friday. I figured it would match my white Nexus 5 a little better.

I also just got my replacement white Nexus 5 today...

I dropped and lost my older one, then got it returned to me with a cracked screen. On the up side, at least I had insurance on it as well as my wife's phone number on the lock screen, and the replacement looks to be the updated version with the slightly bigger speaker holes. On the down side, preliminary tests seem to show that it doesn't benchmark quite as high. I'll have to try after a reboot and when I'm not doing installs on it, though.

10. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    I have a friend with the gray case on his white N5, it's a very attractive look.

Glad to hear things are working out with your replacement. I'd take the benchmarks rather lightly. Of the five Nexus 5's I've bought for family members, they're all a tad different when tested.

Not enough to notice in day to day usage.

Tags: