1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Back up first?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jmeiii, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Jmeiii

Jmeiii Newbie

I just download z4root. I'm totally new to the whole rooting thing and was just wandering if I should back up my phone t my computer before doing it? ( Didn't see it mentioned in the rooting guide.)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

Best thing to do is use Z4Root to root your phone (use permanent). Download Koush's Bootstrap Recovery. Bootstrap into clockwork mod recovery by using bootstrap. Then backup your present setup (stock) to your SD Card. (When you hit backup it will automatically put the back up on your SD Card. Reboot. Then if you want to backup your SD Card to your computer you can.

Before you install a custom rom install Titanium Back up and back up all your apps and data.

Questions ??? Fire away!!

Jmeiii likes this.
  3. Jmeiii

Jmeiii Newbie

Ok. You asked for it. I do have a question or two. First of all, thanks for the initial info. I did what you said and backed up my phone with Bootstrap Recovery. I decided to get brave and try a ROM. I read that Apex was a good beginner ROM, so I downloaded that. I used Titanium Backup to back up all of my apps. I then went through all of the steps in ClockworkMod to install the ROM and restore my apps. The ROM booted successfully. However, the app back up with titanium didn't take for some reason. So I panicked and restored my phone in ClockworkMod to the state it was when I backed up. It worked. However,(I may be nit-picking here)now whenever I turn the phone on, the ClockworkMod screen appears and I have to " reboot system now " to get the phone to turn on. Is there a way to get the phone to just boot up when I turn the power on like it used to without having to deal with the ClockworkMod step? In a way I'm glad I got scared because I now know how to restore the phone. I will try again. When I do, is Apex the best choice and should i do something different?

4. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

First, when you go to clockwork mod do wipe data/factory reset. That should get you back to stock. you will need to reroot and reinstall bootstrap and Titanium Backup. After you do this then open Titanium and hit Problems?. This will load Busybox. Not sure what it does but it's important. Press Backup/Restore then press Menu then Batch press Backup all user apps + system data. Let it back up. After you install your new ROM and sign into your Google account this will load your contacts. There are several ways to restore your apps. 1) Go to the Market press menu and My Apps you should see all your apps reloading. This can take some time so be patience. 2) I normally do this after the Market restore. Do a batch restore of user apps+system data. This reloads all your saved data in your apps.

As for ROMS. Apex is very good. Liberty 1.5 is also great. Try Apex then I think you will want to try Liberty.

5. Jmeiii

Jmeiii Newbie

Ok. Thanks. That tells me how to reset the phone to stock and restore apps. What About contacts and pics and the like. How do I make sure I don't lose them.

6. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

Your contacts are saved in the "cloud" by Google so when you sign in to your Google account after flashing the ROM your contacts should come back. All your pics are automatically saved to your SD Card so they are not affected by flashing ROMS or resets.

7. Jmeiii

Jmeiii Newbie

I figured out how to get my X to stop booting into the ClockworkMod Recovery screen. All I had to do was download Quickboot and now all is right with the world. Thanks for all of you input.

8. Jmeiii

Jmeiii Newbie

Scratch that. It's doing it again. This is so annoying. Help please if you can. To me, the phone is not stock until I can just boot up by pressing power.

9. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

When you boot into clockwork mod instead of rebooting system go to wipe data/factory reset. That should fix your problem

10. Jmeiii

Jmeiii Newbie

I did the factory reset, twice. It did not work. However, I did figure out what the problem was with the help of some others who'd experienced the same thing. The issue was with Koush's Bootstrap Recovery. Even if you delete the app, it leaves traces of it behind. I had to download Root Explorer, locate /system/bin. I had to delete the file called hijack, delete the file called logwrapper, and change the name of the file called logwrapper.bin to logwrapper. I then rebooted a few times to make sure all was back to normal, and it is. Thanks for your help.

colchiro likes this.
  11. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

Wow. Never had to do that. That's a lot of work. Got to be an easier way. Hopesome of the experts will chime in and discuss this.

12. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

If you plug your phone into your computer, select mass-storage mode from the status drop-down, then on the drive that appears on your computer, you could navigate to /clockworkmod and copy the entire backup folder to your computer for safe keeping. You shouldn't need it unless your sd card fails or you delete your backups.

Factory reset only gets you back to stock if you have the stock rom installed prior to resetting. It clears data for whatever rom is installed.

I believe the Pro version of Titanium is required to use the batch menu. Also, be careful when doing this since restoring system data from one rom to another can lead to instability. See Titanium 101.

+1

I have seen posts of similar issues but was unaware of that. My recommendation would been to uninstall/reinstall bootstrap but I don't know if that fixes the problem.

13. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

I only have the free version of Titanium and you can batch backup and restore. What you cannot do is make more than one backup and you cannot freeze apps.

Jmeiii and colchiro like this.
  14. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

I was aware of the one backup and freezing, but not the batches.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews