• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Back Up Playlists

ayinde6

Nov 10, 2009
Ok I have a Sprint HTC Hero and I have made some great playlists, problem is I cannot back up my playlist to my SD Card, so if I do a hard reset all playlists are gone forever.. Does anyone know where these files are kept or how to back up them up. I have already tried "MyBackup Pro" but it said "Music playlist backup failed" everytime. If anyone can help I'd truly appreciated...

I don't know about playlists on the phone, but I know if you sync playlists from windows media player and then drag the playlist folder from my music folder on my computer to the microSD card, the phone would see the playlists.

So, I think the playlists could have been saved on the memory card. Check it and see if you can find a folder name playlist on the sd card.

Upvote 0
I don't know about playlists on the phone, but I know if you sync playlists from windows media player and then drag the playlist folder from my music folder on my computer to the microSD card, the phone would see the playlists.

So, I think the playlists could have been saved on the memory card. Check it and see if you can find a folder name playlist on the sd card.

Thanks for the tip but that is a no go...I created the playlist using my phone and windows media player can't even find them.

Upvote 0
OK,

Plan 57b,

Start a tune,>menu>properties> scroll to the bottom and it'll tell you where your music is located.

Suggest you download free from the market, Linda file manager, being an old f rt I find it easy to use, and talking of which, does anyone know of an old fashioned music player which doesn't have album art, I've tried three without success, nearly all my albums came in plain brown sleeves with the title on the label, :D.

Max.

Upvote 0
OK,

Plan 57b,

Start a tune,>menu>properties> scroll to the bottom and it'll tell you where your music is located.

Suggest you download free from the market, Linda file manager, being an old f rt I find it easy to use, and talking of which, does anyone know of an old fashioned music player which doesn't have album art, I've tried three without success, nearly all my albums came in plain brown sleeves with the title on the label, :D.

Max.

Thanks for the response but I know where to find my music I just don't know where the playlists I created with my phone are...

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Shameless plug, and hopefully a few answers from a Sprite employee

Actually Playlists are stored on your device in a database,
They are independent of the media on your SDCard

Music files, albumn art etc are stored on the SDCard.

Try Sprite Backup, it backs up and restores music, playlists, art etc from a single backup file

We were the first to do it, as with many other content.

Problem with backing up only playlists, and not the media files, your playlist backup will get out of date with the actual media files oncard... Also as many people know SDCards do fail (hence a reason to backup), so a single backup file, easy to copy off of SD is a great way to go.

Sprite Mobile - Android Backup - SMS, Bookmarks, System Settings, Application Settings, Call Logs, MMS, Contacts, Photos, Video, Music and much more...

Many thanks

Julian

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Shameless plug, and hopefully a few answers from a Sprite employee

Actually Playlists are stored on your device in a database,
They are independent of the media on your SDCard

Music files, albumn art etc are stored on the SDCard.

Try Sprite Backup, it backs up and restores music, playlists, art etc from a single backup file

We were the first to do it, as with many other content.

Problem with backing up only playlists, and not the media files, your playlist backup will get out of date with the actual media files oncard... Also as many people know SDCards do fail (hence a reason to backup), so a single backup file, easy to copy off of SD is a great way to go.

Sprite Mobile - Android Backup - SMS, Bookmarks, System Settings, Application Settings, Call Logs, MMS, Contacts, Photos, Video, Music and much more...

Many thanks

Julian

Sprite Backup will backup playlist? I tried it and I thought it was just backing up my music...

Upvote 0
Hi ayinde6,

Yes Music is the category, it includes your playlists, album art, tracks, genre etc

backs up to a single file, so you can copy off for safe keeping

Music also does voice recordings, ringtones

A bigger list of features is here
http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/android

The help file is here
Sprite Mobile - Getting Started

Please note, advanced scheduling feature is probably through our QA department, and available later today, and a raft of cool new features and even more backup content next week,

Many thanks

Julian

Upvote 0
So that does n't really answer the question, without starting again
a1) where does the htc store the playlists that are created on the phone?
b1) why won't it save changes made to playlists stored in folders on phone that it recognises....?
b2) where can i save it all to where it will owrk
c1) i would like to do this without either having to use sync or storing something else on my phone
d1) anyideas for good battery replacement - mines on super short time :((((

i hate to say it, auto on/off times, noise free power up and this are the only things i miss about the n95 and my old blackberry bold.
any suggestions to 'replace' these much missed features...?

big thanks to all who read and esp those who can suggest

Upvote 0
I don't want to bother syncing my music from pc to phone.

What I would like to do is createa a set of playlists by drag and drop on the pc from my music files then copy both the music files and the playlists to the phone.

That will do me for a year then I would probably repeat the exercise including ne music.

If any one could help I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
So that does n't really answer the question, without starting again
a1) where does the htc store the playlists that are created on the phone?
b1) why won't it save changes made to playlists stored in folders on phone that it recognises....?
b2) where can i save it all to where it will owrk
c1) i would like to do this without either having to use sync or storing something else on my phone
d1) anyideas for good battery replacement - mines on super short time :((((

i hate to say it, auto on/off times, noise free power up and this are the only things i miss about the n95 and my old blackberry bold.
any suggestions to 'replace' these much missed features...?

big thanks to all who read and esp those who can suggest

Thanks...I can't find the playlists created on the device either. I like to manually back up.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it works this way:

Android has a local database (sqlite I believe) on the phone that has lots (but not all) of the media information such as playlists. When you create a new playlist on on the phone, it adds an entry to this database. You can, however, work around this since android will also automatically discover/read playlists as files in .M3U format (an old Winamp format). Unfortunately, you can't add to the playlist on the android side (it just adds to the media database instead of the M3U file). So if you don't mind maintaining your playlists from your PC, that's an option.

.. Otherwise, just use Winamp :)

Upvote 0
My app allows you to export your android playlists as m3u files. Poweramp (and many other players) are able to read these. You can even copy them to your PC and use them there. The user manual provided with the app describes how to go about this.

This app has evolved into a mature well designed product which integrates Poweramp tags such as Ratings.
Check out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.playlistmanager&hl=e n
or search for Playlist Manager on Google Play
:)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones