1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Backed up apk is too small compared to Play Store version

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Double44, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Double44

Double44 Member

I backup apks all the time using Super Backup (non-root), and notice that the game apks are much smaller in filesize than the version in the Play Store. This isn't unique to Super Backup, it happens to all of them.

The Play Store will say the apk is 457MB in filesize, but the backed up apk is only 5MB. Can someone explain what is going on here? What happens if i install and open one of these sideloaded apks?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

The original download packages are generally ZIP files, as executables don't survive the download process because antivirus programs will delete them.

then when you get the package, the phone will unzip it and recover the executable .apk and that is what you are seeing backed up.

3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

I'm guessing that the larger size of the (game) app in the Play Store are due to expansion files.

I have a few apps in the Play Store and their listed sizes match exactly what the .apk file that I uploaded actually is and what Super Backup : SMS & Contacts saved to my "SD card" area on my 6P.

You should also be aware that devs can create different .apk files for their apps which can account for the "Varies with device" Size listing for a Play Store app.

Double44 and androidmachine like this.