• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backflip & 1.6

Unfortunately no. In fact, the Backflip will never get 1.6, because we are skipping it and going straight to 2.1. When that happens a whole new world of apps will be open up to us, and according to Motorola's schedule that could happen any time in the next 3 months (most likely towards the end of that time frame). When they release it, you will get a notification to download the update. Until then, all you can really do is have a little bit of patience.

Upvote 0
Well that just sucks...
This is the first time that I've delved into the software issues really.
I was excited when I saw Barnes and Noble came out with the Android version of their Nook (already own the Nook)...(almost contemplating rooting that)

I haven't researched the software updates - but is there a reason they are not just letting all devices have all the updates as they go along?

Upvote 0
Google is releasing the source code as they release new versions, but it is up to the individual phone manufacturers to actually update the phones. Every phone is different, requiring custom drivers, software, etc, so there isn't a "one size fits all" update that can be delivered. Also, the manufacturers and carriers have to make sure everything is stable and such before releasing new versions, otherwise they would have a ton of support issues on their hands.

So, what ends up happening is that there are a handful of different versions of the OS on the market at any time, and it is a rolling cycle of what is currently in use. We were unfortunate to have an already antiquated version of the OS when our phone was released (it was likely the most up to date when they started, but by the time it was released it was behind the times), so we feel the sting more than many.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones