1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Background Data and Auto-Sync combination

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by htcdesireuser_, Jun 8, 2011.

1. htcdesireuser_

None

Jun 8, 2011
    Hi,

I am using an HTC desire S with Android v 2.3.3 installed on it. I have a question on Background Data and Auto-Sync settings and the combination of these settings.

I have my work email (MS exchange) and gmail (IMAP/POP3) set up on the phone and access it using the Mail app which is pre-installed on the phone. I have set up my Auto-Sync update settings such that my work email updates via Push and gmail updates every 5 mins but Auto-Sync is turned OFF. My Background Data however is turned ON. With this combination of settings, I don't get emails on my work email (as expected) but get emails from gmail every 5 mins. Not sure why gmail is completely ignoring the Auto-Sync OFF setting. Is this standard functionality? I would expect that if Auto-Sync is turned off then all accounts listed under Auto-Sync will not automatically sync (even if Background Data is enabled).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. Icon

Icon Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Are you certain auto-sync is off? I found on my Epic 4G that auto-sync remains on even if I turn off background data, unless I turn off auto-sync first before background data. At first I thought disabling background data affected then both, but I noticed a dim, but still slightly illuminated check next to auto-sync. When I turned off auto-sync first then background data the check was totally dark.

Tags: