1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Background Data Disabled/Market: Market needs background data to be enabled

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by HannibalLecter, Jul 6, 2011.

1. HannibalLecter

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Cali
    I have a question why is it that the Android market needs the background data to be enabled even before you set it up. I understand it is updating in the background even when it is not on but is there any way of bypassing this when running market for the first time.

My situation:

Don't have a data plan from At&t and I recently bought a Motorola Atrix Unlocked 4g from Craigslist. I got it strictly unlocked because I don't want a data plan. It doesn't have gingerbread (2.3) but froyo (2.2.2) on it. So, I have turned off all data services in the settings page of the phone. Now when I try to launch market it tells me:

Background data disabled:
    Market needs background data to be enabled

Mind you I have not even seen the daylight in Market yet because I don't want to turn data on and get charged from At&t. Not to mention they'll pick up the data bands and start charging me right away before I even test it out (new unlocked smartphone details of their contract)

I know eventually I wouldn't even need data because I can run market through wifi but how do I get past these preliminary steps without turning data on?

The background image in market still says Android Market Terms of Service so it hasn't even been initiated properly yet.

I love android but is there any way of going around this so I can start downloading some apps.

Advertisement

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

Why not just access the market from your desktop?

3. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Since connecting via wifi disables 3G anyway, I suspect it probably won't matter if you check the "enable background data" box long enough to use the Market, as long as you're on wifi when you do it.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    The subsidy lock is irrelevant. If your IMEI is identified by their system you'll automatically have a data plan added if you don't have one. You'd have to find a device with an IMEI that their system doesn't recognize. The system doesn't care if your device is locked or unlocked.

5. HannibalLecter

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Cali
    This is why I am thinking of switching over to the Nokia N900 and dual booting android on there since Nokia phones get picked up as foreign phones.

Even if I turn on the background data for a second, it'll still send the signal to At&t turning it on automatically. I know at this point I am just delaying the inevitable but I wanted to see if I could get an Android phone with market that wouldn't need background data. I guess not.

Another question: you guys mentioned running market on the desktop. Are you guys talking about the phone's android market running on the desktop? (Can someone explain how to do this?) OR An android client being installed on the desktop, running the android market from there, downloading the apps and installing them on my phone manually

6. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Wait you dont wanna use wifi, because the second you do AT&T will add a data plan onto your account? How is that possible?

7. HannibalLecter

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Cali
    I don't wanna use data (background data) because the minute it gets registered as data using phone they will send me the dreaded message.

8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Just take out the sim card and connect via wifi. Wifi has nothing to do with AT&T and with no sim in the phone, there's no way AT&T or any other carrier can see the device.

9. HannibalLecter

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Cali
    Wow this was so simple I didn't think of it. I will try this once I get home and will update you guys on the impending success. Thanks guys.

10. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Kind of.... it's accessed via your desktop browser. Provided you've previously accessed the Market from your handset, you can go here and review your account, search apps and even install them to the handset remotely.

11. bundalov

bundalov Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2012
    Hi. I had similar issue, Market required Background Data to be Enabled.
    BUT, I had one more thing which worried me: I was getting this error message also: google.process.gapps stopped working blah blah blah.
    So, I went into Settings > Application Manager > All > and scrolled all the way down and saw that DOWNLOADS was stopped. So I enabled it and voila, Market works again :)
    I hope that this will help someone.

Vladimir