1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Background Data,Mobile data usage and WiFi :S

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nathaniel309, Dec 5, 2011.

1. nathaniel309

nathaniel309 Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Malta
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for some expert advice on how best to set up mobile data usage on my Galaxy S2.

For the next 6 months or so, i'm on a contract which does not include any Mobile data at all, so whatever 3G I use on my phone, I'm paying extra for it.

Is it a good idea to keep Background Data enabled at all times and use the GS2 shortcut to Enable/Disable Data Network Mode?

In this way I can have background notifications work only when I'm connected to wifi or when I intentionally switch on Data Network Mode.

My main question is how would this affect battery life, as in how does background data work when there is no wifi and no 3G, would it keep trying to connect every few minutes and drain my battery?

Even better would be some app which automatically enables Background data and Autosync only when on Wifi. Or is this just wishful thinking??

Advertisement

2. Pezzie

Pezzie Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2014
    Turn the background data off while using your mobile data and turn it on again when using WiFi. You will save heaps on your plan. (settings\Data Usage - click the menu button and tick the Restrict Background Data box. At the moment I have to do this manually BEFORE turning on the mobile data or a bunch of apps start syncing and it blows my usage out.

I am trying to figure out how to tell Tasker to do this automatically when I turn mobile data on and turn background data back on again while using WiFi.

Hope that is of some help.