1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Background process = music issues??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hypo Luxa, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Android Enthusiast

The more I think about it, the more I start wonder if there is a background process interrupting the music and making it pop and skip. I noticed that if I have music playing and someone texts or calls, just before my phone wakes up, it starts to get all choppy, much like when it just does randomly. That's making me think that there is an open process in the background that interferes with the audio. It also seems to do it mostly right after I start my music, then it's good for awhile and then it'll get choppy for a a second or two just seemingly out of the blue. Kinda seems like a process is refreshing or polling or something. It also does it when I launch another app which also seems to indicate that a process is screwing with it.

Anyone know the background processes very well? I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with the background stuff with Android so for me to investigate is kinda rather pointless. Maybe we can isolate the process and either stop it, freeze it, or find something to make it more passive. It just doesn't seem likely that it is a hardware issue.

Advertisement

2. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

I don't have much issue with skipping/popping, but I am rooted, debloated, supercharged and sd speed increase applied. However, the likely culprit is low ram issues. Some people seem to have worse issues with this than others. It has never been a problem for me since I applied the above mentioned tweaks. This phone should never have been made with less than 1 gig of ram in the first place.

3. Hypo Luxa

Well, thats what I thought at first, but if I remember correctly, didn't you have an Eris around the same time I did? That phone had squat for RAM but it seemed to manage music great. I could do whatever while listening to my music without a single skip or pop.

4. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

The Tegra 2 has built in hardware MP3 decoding and a very good DAC. The ram should not be the issue, but a lack of adequate buffering or signal isolation could be.

No other Tegra 2 device I have used has the issue. It appears unique to the DX2 and is the main reason I returned it.

5. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

No Eris, but I had a Dinc and then 4 different DX's before my DX2. I agree that none of my previous phones had music skipping issues, but then again my DX2 doesn't really either, although once in a while it does skip. I will say that when I use my bluetooth headphones I have never once had a single audio issue with the DX2. Not sure why this would make a difference but apparently it does.

6. Hypo Luxa

ah.. I thought I saw you hanging around the Eris forums about a year ago. My bad.. :)

Hmm.. this is definitely a strange issue. I can tear apart a PC and put it back together blindfolded and tweak it to squeeze every ounce of processor power and RAM utilization and diagnose and fix damn near everything Winblows / MAC can throw at me... But these damn Droids are making me feel stupid! Didn't take very long to realize smart phone technology is a whole different realm.

7. roy5000x2

roy5000x2 Member

judging by how many ROM users and heavy script users don't experience the music skip issue, my guess is that it's a blur thing.

8. Hypo Luxa

Yeah I have noticed that custom ROM users don't seem to be complaining about the music issues so you might be on to something there with Blur. I saw on another Droid X2 forum that soak test invites went out, so maybe a fix for the music issues? or 2.3.4 perhaps? I guess we'll find out in a few weeks

9. bolski

bolski Android Enthusiast

I use PowerAmp and I set the buffer to Huge and that seems to have solved the problem. I still hear a half-second pause once in awhile, but it's better than before. When I first got the X2, this didn't seem to be an issue, but after a week, it seems to have cropped up for me. I'm running the stock GB update, but I am rooted so I can ran Titamium Backup. But, the issue was there before I rooted. It has gotten better since I tweaked PowerAmps buffering settings, set the battery saving feature to Performance, used an SD tweaker and V6 Supercharger. I don't have a custom ROM since those are very few and far between. I'm waiting for CyanogenMod to come out with an X2 ROM before I flash.

It definitely does show up when I switch to another app or receive a call even after my tweaks, so it's definitely some sort of task managing that is probably causing the problem. However, it's not as bad as it was before the tweaks.