• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up 2.1 Phone settings?

Zilliano

Jan 24, 2010
I'm sure it's possible, and as I'm about to update to the new leak (I don't care about Root, don't mention it) I'd like to know how to back up my phone and applications settings- mainly the phone settings, so I don't have to turn shit back on after I update.
Are there any apps that do this, or rather, any methods?

You DO need to backup your contacts, but with everything else you're going to have to build it from the ground up.

I don't know of any way to save an "image" of all of your settings, apps and ringtones as of right now. Verizon describes it as a "destructive install." Meaning you get the new OS, but your phone is reset to a factory state in the process. A small price to pay for being on the bleeding edge.

When you're redownloading all of your apps from the Market it helps to be connected to as strong a wifi as you can find. If you do it from the "download" page in the Market where all your previous installs are listed you can get everything back onto your phone in a few minutes tops. Then it's just a matter of tweaking the settings and getting everything all set up again.

For me, it was well worth it to get the bug fixes from the previous leak. I know a bunch of people are still having issues, but I haven't had the dialer issues since I upgraded at all. (I've been on v3 since day 1.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones