1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Backing up Andoid and installing on new device

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by JRG4536, Jul 7, 2016.

1. JRG4536

JRG4536 Guest
    None
    Hi,
    I bought a cheap chinese andoid (Lenovo) and have rooted it (easily) and eventually got all the apps on it I need and got it working fine. I want to replicate this on a new phone for my other half. You can (or could) back up a windows pc and restore it on a new system. How do you do the same with an android? My PC is currently running linux mint (excellent) as a successor to XP.

JRG

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If there is a custom recovery available for that phone then you could take a backup with that, root the other phone and install the recovery to it too, copy the backup to the new phone and restore. That would literally do what you ask, but there are a couple of problems:

1) they must be exactly the same model of phone. Both the recovery and the operating system build are device-specific, and if you try this between different devices you'll break the new phone. It's important to know that there is no "generic" Android that can be installed on different devices - it _always_ has to be built for the specific model.

2) this will install all of the apps, but also all of your account details, and the apps will be tied to your account. So if you don't mind your other half receiving all your emails etc that's fine, but it's probably simpler to let him/her set up their own account and then install the apps by hand.

You could try using a root backup tool like Titanium (in which case both devices need to be rooted) or non-root one like Helium, back up on one device and restore on the other. This will only copy apps, but they may end up linked to your account still (I've only done this between two devices that were on the same account anyway). Titanium can back up and restore system settings too, but only do that if both phones are the same model and running the same OS version (certainly major version).

As you'll have gathered, I'm not completely sure this is worth the effort, but those are the methods that come to mind. If the phone has a "migration" tool to help copy stuff from "your previous phone" you could try that too.

IsaacGuti and svim like this.