1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Backing up captivate

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 4N6science, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 4N6science

4N6science Member

In light of the possibility that the froyo may be close to be released and for my own knowledge, how do I back up ALL of the data on my captivate? I have not rooted my phone and was wondering if there was an app that I can use to accomplish this.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. sethjamto

sethjamto Well-Known Member

Titanium backup. check the market for it.

3. sremick

sremick Android Expert

The Captivate FAQ (and this forums search feature) is your friend. ;) It's a forum sticky, linked in many users' signatures and mentioned in most threads.

Backup - CapFAQ

4. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast

I was wondering the exact same thing. Glad you posted this topic question 4N6science.

5. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto Newbie

So the only options either require root or paying, no thanks.

6. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

I suggest that you reconsider. A complete backup of your phone is very important.

1. Rooting is simple: Root - CapFAQ

2. The $5 bucks or so for MyBackup Pro or Titanium is worth many times the price when you need to restore (notice the word "when"). Backup - CapFAQ

Putting things in perspective, you have a $200 device. What's another $5 for something this critical?

sremick likes this.
  7. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast

so you have to backup before you update to 2.2?

8. mabovalu

mabovalu Lurker

I use both Titanium Backup (I paid for the Pro license), and MyPhoneExplorer, which is amazing SW, and saved my bacon more than once.

9. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

Have to? No. Wise to do so? Yes. The uncertainty of any major change to your device calls for a measure of caution. Complete backups provide you with the ability to restore whatever may have "broken" during the update operation.

BTW, always backup to an external SD card which, in turn, should be removed prior to significant phone modifications...then re-installed afterwards. In other words, my message to the update process is: don't touch my junk!

10. gcobb

gcobb Android Enthusiast

I would root before backing up. I didn't and a lot of my data wasn't backed up. I used My Backup I think.

11. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto Newbie

Ok, so I rooted and installed Titanium and now I get a message when I start it that I must go to Application and tick the Unknown Sources box, but I don't see it under Applications.

12. sremick

sremick Android Expert

The Captivate FAQ ("CapFAQ") link that has been posted multiple times already in this thread answers this.