• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

backing up data

slanch

Jun 6, 2010
Say I manually copy all the files on my phone via the Android File Transfer program onto my mac...

And then suppose I decide to root my phone...

when I'm finished with the rooting process, can I then upload those files BACK onto my phone and have my various apps' data restored as they were?

Say I manually copy all the files on my phone via the Android File Transfer program onto my mac...

And then suppose I decide to root my phone...

when I'm finished with the rooting process, can I then upload those files BACK onto my phone and have my various apps' data restored as they were?

Yes, you can do that. I use Titanium Backup, it kicks butt! Google automatically restores your apps through your GMail account.

Upvote 0
titanium only works once I'm rooted though right?

I'm not as concerned about downloading the actual apps as I am when they are reloaded will my old data still be there. Like, will saved games carry over, notes from my note app, last flow, etc be as they were before I rooted?

The galaxy nexus has a built in back up tool. Only thing is that you need ADB to use it.... but if you use Wugs root tool kit, it includes the ability to completely back up all the data on your unrooted phone. It can then be reloaded onto the phone after you root and unlock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones